Beginner Subs help deciding

I am looking to buy my first pair of subs, and I would like to get two 12s. For the past few weeks I've been looking and I thought I had decided on on the Alpine type S's sws-12d2, but now I am starting to have some second thoughts. I want subs that are going to be a good mix of sound quality and loudness with a little more preference on sound quality. I can pick up the SWS-12d2's on Sonic or ebay for 90 a sub, so 180 for both subs. I'm 17 and currently without a job so my budget isn't able to go up as I am already pushing my limits. I plan to match the subs with an Alpine MRX-M110 amp which runs 1100W rms x 1 @ 2ohms. So do you guys think there are better subs for me to go for for my budget or even less (doubtful I know but had to say it)? I've been asking on the forums and have decided to go sealed enclosure prefab since this is my very first setup. I know it's not the best way to go, but it's what I am capable of at the moment since I'm not able to build a box. So please, let me know what you think I could do along the lines of subs or if I should stick with Type S's.

Thanks!

Eli

The type s subs are decent the 12s require bigger boxes than the manufacturer recommends though. Depending on the space you have two 10s may work better. Idk why the 12 falls out as an oddball compared to the 10s and 15s

Eli,

Depending on what your long term goal is, the Alpines may not be the best choice. They will sound good to you initially but once you desire more output there are a lot of competitors that will out perform them.

I am close to you, sent you a PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm having trouble finding the subs you're reccomending for 90 a sub though. I am looking for 2 12s at 180, that is what I can get my type s's from sonic for. I saw obsidian mentioned but didn't know model numbers or prices. Thanks for all the input so far. And again I'm looking for subs that will have a good mix of sq and loudness with the scale probably tipped slightly in sq's favor.

If your looking for an sq sub. Then maybe you'll wanna consider getting a single sub that will take the 1100 rms. there are many subs you can get for 180 especially if you do used. The box will be your biggest consideration if you want sq as most people will tell you here the box and install is about 80% of your build If your have a great box. Then even a mediocre sub can sound great and if done right a single sub can yield as much or more in the right box as 2 subs in the wrong box

You need a Nightshade on 5000w for sure......haha. Sundown E series are very budgety but I agree with mylows10 and going with a single 12. SA12s are a good place to start.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.