Before I start dropping hundos

i went with audiophile sealed. i blew one of them when i had it ported at 1cf ported? i guess i will try making another ported box. only a few bills.

from what I hear, the idmax requires bigger boxes to sound optimum.. building a new box is way cheaper than buying new subs.. and it's not gonna be that much louder than you think doing that.. You can try building a bigger sealed box.. like 1.8 each or just go ported.. idmax's ported sound great with very little power..

Are you limited on space? How much are you willing to sacrifice in space? what's your crossover set at on your amp? Setting your lpf on your deck to 80 hz isn't gonna do anything if it's set low on the amp..

Are you limited on space? How much are you willing to sacrifice in space? what's your crossover set at on your amp? Setting your lpf on your deck to 80 hz isn't gonna do anything if it's set low on the amp..
i am limited on space somewhat. I can raise the height of my box but not the width. I think i can make 4cf happen, at least im going to try. i will drop the gain of my amp low. my crossover is at the lowest, i think its at 77.

You can try putting the crossover a little higher on the amp.. maybe like 100hz and your deck will take care of the rest at 80 hz.. It probably won't make much of a difference but it'll bring in more sound.. Make sure you have your ported box tuned low in the 30's or else it might sound like crap.. if you're not sure how to do it, you can get it designed by somebody here and then build it yourself..

I changed my crossover and stuff. Still no change. I am running only one sub right now. I wanted to test my amp aswell to make sure it's working properly.

I tested a few things today after buying a clamp.

My input voltage at idle is 13.4V.

Under mid to high volumes about 60-70% it dropped to 11.96V and stayed steady.

I then clamped the positive output on my amp. It came out at 21.1amps. The voltage was 9 on the speaker output. This equaled 190w. Even at 1ohm with less than rated voltage i should be seeing more output then this. I was afraid to turn up any louder as my sub was getting close to bottoming out. It was pretty **** loud though. My gain was at about a quarter on the amp. All levels on my deck are at 0 except subwoofer output, which was at the highest.

I'm going to try another amplifier tonight to see what's going on.

I'm not entirely impressed with 11.9V but my hands are tied. I have the biggest alternator made for my truck //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I changed my crossover and stuff. Still no change. I am running only one sub right now. I wanted to test my amp aswell to make sure it's working properly.
I tested a few things today after buying a clamp.

My input voltage at idle is 13.4V.

Under mid to high volumes about 60-70% it dropped to 11.96V and stayed steady.

I then clamped the positive output on my amp. It came out at 21.1amps. The voltage was 9 on the speaker output. This equaled 190w. Even at 1ohm with less than rated voltage i should be seeing more output then this. I was afraid to turn up any louder as my sub was getting close to bottoming out. It was pretty **** loud though. My gain was at about a quarter on the amp. All levels on my deck are at 0 except subwoofer output, which was at the highest.

I'm going to try another amplifier tonight to see what's going on.

I'm not entirely impressed with 11.9V but my hands are tied. I have the biggest alternator made for my truck //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
You weren't seeing 190 watts, you were seeing 190(VA) volt amps. The power formula is different for AC signals than DC and speaker outputs are AC. The power formula you used is a DC formula. Gain should be set and not messed with, as it is not a volume control for the amp. If you've have the gain set at 3/4 as you mentioned above, you were almost assuredly clipping the sub(s) and, that's likely the reason you damaged a previous sub.

With a properly designed and built ported enclosure, those subs will handle a 1000 watts of clean power and they will be remarkably louder and will have much better low end response than they do in a sealed enclosure.

As for your voltage drop, you're on the edge with the alternator but your hands are not tied. You can add a second battery.

You weren't seeing 190 watts, you were seeing 190(VA) volt amps. The power formula is different for AC signals than DC and speaker outputs are AC. The power formula you used is a DC formula. Gain should be set and not messed with, as it is not a volume control for the amp. If you've have the gain set at 3/4 as you mentioned above, you were almost assuredly clipping the sub(s) and, that's likely the reason you damaged a previous sub.
With a properly designed and built ported enclosure, those subs will handle a 1000 watts of clean power and they will be remarkably louder and will have much better low end response than they do in a sealed enclosure.

As for your voltage drop, you're on the edge with the alternator but your hands are not tied. You can add a second battery.
Outstanding. Thanks. I will keep my gain down low and build a new enclosure. I will research the correct formula.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.