Been a while. Who's on top of the Sound Quality game right now?

I keep getting told that Sundown is not built for SQ. They're just your typical SPL subs geared a little less towards SPL and that Qts show it. Does anyone know anything about Ultimo Titanium subs? ULTIMO TITANIUM Subwoofer - Morel
Whoever told you that sounds like they might be the type that thinks sealed is better than ported and that smaller subs play more accurate than bigger subs... How you design the enclosure to work with the environment the subwoofer is in basically accounts for almost all the sound possible sound quality you can achieve. Basically with proper box design, port loading and manipulation of cabin gain, along with EQ, you can make almost any sub (after a certain threshold) be a super sound quality sub. Just too many people who have no idea what they are doing subwoofer wise making up lame excuses blaming the brand while its completely user error.

Here's the proof that they are dead wrong about sundown being purely SPL. He won in both multiple SQ leagues and SPL. He beat out guys running morel and JL subs. All this is proving that its not the sub, its the install, box and tune that gives you magnificent SQ. The best sub in the world can sound like trash if put in an improper box loading inadequately while a flea market sub in a proper box/install can completely demolish it.

Car Audio Classifieds

YIW6Qt.jpg

Whoever told you that sounds like they might be the type that thinks sealed is better than ported and that smaller subs play more accurate than bigger subs... How you design the enclosure to work with the environment the subwoofer is in basically accounts for almost all the sound possible sound quality you can achieve. Basically with proper box design, port loading and manipulation of cabin gain, along with EQ, you can make almost any sub (after a certain threshold) be a super sound quality sub. Just too many people who have no idea what they are doing subwoofer wise making up lame excuses blaming the brand while its completely user error.
Here's the proof that they are dead wrong about sundown being purely SPL. He won in both multiple SQ leagues and SPL. He beat out guys running morel and JL subs. All this is proving that its not the sub, its the install, box and tune that gives you magnificent SQ. The best sub in the world can sound like trash if put in an improper box loading inadequately while a flea market sub in a proper box/install can completely demolish it.

Car Audio Classifieds

YIW6Qt.jpg

Look at the details. There's a car in stock class with more points. That means either his class had **** cars or not many cars.

Just pick a sub. Model a few enclosures. Find one that fits your needs.

The morel lacks a ton of output, they are lifeless and to natural.

You won't get a flat sub response without tuning somewhere, every one will have a peak somewhere.

Whoever told you that is a retard. Sundown x,zv4,nsv3 have a very true sound and when tuned low they are awesome. I think if u heard one in the proper box you would be impressed. Big box tuned low and they are crazy. 

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

This ^
They would be bloated. Which is what you want. Not what he thinks he is looking for.

I agree. I've heard the Morel Ultimo and it just really lacked output. Blends very well and natural sounding. It just doesn't have that umph though. Huge waste of money. Even when you port it or put it in a really good enclosure, it's still pretty lifeless. I have a friend who has it in a folded horn design and I think it's pretty quiet for what it is. Gonna need atleast 2 subs to have decent output, which would not even be worth it.

So morel aren't sounding that great. What about c12xl from illusion audio? Do any of you have experience with those?

I also read that Peavy lowriders work well in a car as well.

Is there a certain lineup of brands I should be looking at? Sundown, illusion... what else is there?
It's up to what you really want. Real sound quality can be done with a Sony xplode if you can build the response you need. If that's what you really want then don't buy a expensive sub. Buy a DSP and a cheaper sub. Or a DSP and tune your L7 better.

So morel aren't sounding that great. What about c12xl? Do any of you have experience with those?
I also read that Peavy lowriders work well in a car as well.
I've never heard any Illusion audio subs before but I would also assume the output would be lacking as well. Most of their stuff is meant to be used in small spaces I notice. They have big celebrities showing off their products but that's just for marketing. I think it's all HYPE.

What about a 15" IDMAX? It's a bit more reasonable in price and is rated 1000w rms.

It's up to what you really want. Real sound quality can be done with a Sony xplode if you can build the response you need. If that's what you really want then don't buy a expensive sub. Buy a DSP and a cheaper sub. Or a DSP and tune your L7 better.
Have any resources on learning about dsp and subwoofers?

I've never heard any Illusion audio subs before but I would also assume the output would be lacking as well. Most of their stuff is meant to be used in small spaces I notice. They have big celebrities showing off their products but that's just for marketing. I think it's all HYPE.
What about a 15" IDMAX? It's a bit more reasonable in price and is rated 1000w rms.
Well I guess that depends on what $400 gets me conpared to $900. What's the difference between the subs?

You say that knowing nothing about drivers and distortion.

Sound quatitly drivers are built for low distortion. I dont know how many times i have to tell you that..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.