Been a while. Who's on top of the Sound Quality game right now?

MrBananaMan
10+ year member

Michigan
I'm tired of my boomy, muddy kicker solo baric L7 12" x 2. I've heard a few good, clean subs and they've made me change my mind. SPL is out, sound quality is in.

I'm redoing my subs and want the cleanest, flattest response I can get down to a solid 18-20hz. I'm willing to spend around $1,000 for just the sub/s themselves. If I need to port it and bump the low end up to get that low, that's fine too. I just don't want an insane spike at 35-40hz.

So what are my options? I do need it loud, but I don't need it as loud as my current setup (1500 rms). I'd say maybe 1,000 rms is as low as I'd like to go, but if they'r3 at 5,000 rms and still put sound quality first then I'd accept that. They need to fit in a full sized car's trunk. It needs to be smooth and clean.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Any reason why you picked those?

Also, how difficult is it to get a fairly flat curve down to 20hz these days? How much room is usually required?

Also, how difficult is it to get a fairly flat curve down to 20hz these days? How much room is usually required?

I'd say 1 12" on 1000watts in a 3cubed box, 35-40" of port tuned to 26hz would get you nasty from 20-50hz

I think ssa audio built very good sub That play all the note And beat your kicker in every ways possible,2 ssa icon with 1500rms each or with your budget 2 zcon with big Power,you Will forget your L7 with That loll

because recently a sundown ZV4 subwoofer won the US MECA SQ championship. Sounds like exactly what you are going for. Linear low distortion, smooth and very strong low end and not so strong upper end.

because recently a sundown ZV4 subwoofer won the US MECA SQ championship. Sounds like exactly what you are going for. Linear low distortion, smooth and very strong low end and not so strong upper end.
From reading their description these do seem to be the kind of drivers I want. Extreme low end extension within small space and with low distortion. Are the z4 Rev 2 series new? A link to them isn't on their subwoofer page, though I found them it google.

From reading their description these do seem to be the kind of drivers I want. Extreme low end extension within small space and with low distortion. Are the z4 Rev 2 series new? A link to them isn't on their subwoofer page, though I found them it google.
the zv4 revision 2 is new. The sundown team does a lot of R&D every year to improve on the design.

Stereo Integrity HST series subs can get nice and low. I have the 18 inch version in 4 cuft sealed, 5hey also have an 11 and 12 inch version that require as small as .6 cuft sealed, just an idea dude.

I keep getting told that Sundown is not built for SQ. They're just your typical SPL subs geared a little less towards SPL and that Qts show it. Does anyone know anything about Ultimo Titanium subs? ULTIMO TITANIUM Subwoofer - Morel

Whoever told you that is a retard. Sundown x,zv4,nsv3 have a very true sound and when tuned low they are awesome. I think if u heard one in the proper box you would be impressed. Big box tuned low and they are crazy.

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

I keep getting told that Sundown is not built for SQ. They're just your typical SPL subs geared a little less towards SPL and that Qts show it. Does anyone know anything about Ultimo Titanium subs? ULTIMO TITANIUM Subwoofer - Morel

This ^

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.