Battery started dying when I installed a deep cycle battery. (Kinetik HC1400)

dizz10dizz

Hi,

I recently purchased a Kinetik HC1400 and installed it in my car for extra power. I have a 2011 Hyundai Elantra with stock battery and stock alternator which is 90 amps. I ran the positive wire from the battery under the hood to positive terminal on the HC1400 and then positive wire from HC1400 to pos terminal on my amplifier. I then grounded the HC1400 to the frame. The amp is grounded to the frame as well.

So the wire path from the battery under the hood it goes...

pos terminal under hood...wire...fuse...wire...HC1400 pos terminal...fuse...amp

My reason for asking is because I installed the battery yesterday and now today the battery under the hood is dead, as well as the HC 1400 is dead. The battery under the hood was resting at 12.7 volts...and so was the HC1400...now they are dead. Double checked to make sure amp was off...

Any info on how to fix this would be great.

Thank You

well such a big drain like that means there has to be something else drawing power. can you think of anything else you might have done or change? do you know if maybe you burnt you alt up and it no longer charges the batts?

get the car running and see if the alt is charging the batts with a DMM. Try disconnecting the battery in the back for a day just to eliminate that as a source of the problem

Sorry for the late reply everyone but just recently tested both batteries and it turns out the Kinetik wasnt fully charged..the alternator is working but im prolly gonna have to upgrade it soon...Just bought a 150 amp solenoid to isolate the battery in the back but it seems now that there is hella voltage drop with the isolator installed...after cahrging both batteries and with the car on charging both batteries, I was gettin about 14.3 volts but after installing the isolator, I can't seem to get over 11 volts...

Wow, I'm surprised nobody mentioned that its a BIG NO-NO to mix agm deep cycle with wet cell batteries and they could actually kill each other, by parasitic drain. Someone did mention the drain though...

If you go agm deep cycle, you want all the batteries that are in parallel with it to be the same type ie. agm deep cycle...

ya i figured that was the problem to begin with...both batteries died on me again last night so im just stickin with one now til i get enough $$ for a second deep cycle. Does anyone know of any isolators that dont have much voltage drop?? Thanks everyone

I have never had luck with isolators - just get rid of the wet cell / std battery in there, get a matching deep cycle, run it in parallel and install a voltage gauge up front so you can watch your volts.

Wow, I'm surprised nobody mentioned that its a BIG NO-NO to mix agm deep cycle with wet cell batteries and they could actually kill each other, by parasitic drain. Someone did mention the drain though...
If you go agm deep cycle, you want all the batteries that are in parallel with it to be the same type ie. agm deep cycle...
It is sad that no one told him not to mix types but it has been said so many times on this forum. To me I seams like the problem may be the amount a battery salesmen we have lurking about in this forum and that they have some influence over the mods. Now I may be wrong but why isn’t there a sticky on this topic since it is the topic that’s comes up every day???????????????????????????????????

I think you all know the answer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

dizz10dizz

dizz10dizz
Paw Paw, IL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
sexy