Battery Selection

Selvos

Europa
Hi

Ive been trying to decide on what battery would be right for my car. I currently have an Optima yellowtop that refuses to crank in cold weather. This has been an ongoing problem each winter for a few years. I usually take the battery out and charge it overnight, then it starts fine. As long as I drive the car everyday, it usually starts.

Anyways I'm sick of dealing with this, so I'm wondering if I should get another yellowtop or go with something else. My system is 1360 watts I think (i didn't install), with a touchscreen head unit (installed by me) plus a capacitor(not sure if that matters), plus led strip lights.

I have the stock alternator at 100 amps. It whines when the hu is on.

I play music pretty loud most of the time I'm driving. I don't usually play with the car off. I assumed that would just immediately drain the battery until I realized what a deep cycle actually is.

So I know the alt runs the system when the car is on, but it dips into the battery reserve when necessary. So does this warrant a deep cycle or something? Also what about parasitic drain? Will a regular starter battery just keep getting drained?

Anyways, any suggestions? thanks!

HiIve been trying to decide on what battery would be right for my car. I currently have an Optima yellowtop that refuses to crank in cold weather. This has been an ongoing problem each winter for a few years. I usually take the battery out and charge it overnight, then it starts fine. As long as I drive the car everyday, it usually starts.

Anyways I'm sick of dealing with this, so I'm wondering if I should get another yellowtop or go with something else. My system is 1360 watts I think (i didn't install), with a touchscreen head unit (installed by me) plus a capacitor(not sure if that matters), plus led strip lights.

I have the stock alternator at 100 amps. It whines when the hu is on.

I play music pretty loud most of the time I'm driving. I don't usually play with the car off. I assumed that would just immediately drain the battery until I realized what a deep cycle actually is.

So I know the alt runs the system when the car is on, but it dips into the battery reserve when necessary. So does this warrant a deep cycle or something? Also what about parasitic drain? Will a regular starter battery just keep getting drained?

Anyways, any suggestions? thanks!

That's a bit disturbing. I just put in a Redtop this past December. Have had no problems, so far, but I am now a little concerned for next winter...and the next few winters after that.

I'm in the same boat trying to make a battery decision. I'm trying to decide if XS Power batteries are worth the price difference over Deka AGM batteries.

That's a bit disturbing. I just put in a Redtop this past December. Have had no problems, so far, but I am now a little concerned for next winter...and the next few winters after that.
I was told if a optima battery discharges when not being charged they will never reach 100% again. This is what the owner of a battery warehouse by my house told me.

You might get lucky and get a good one but in my experience Optima battery quality has gone into the crapper. I used to swear by them but I have had six fail on me in various different vehicles. I'll never buy another one again.

You might get lucky and get a good one but in my experience Optima battery quality has gone into the crapper. I used to swear by them but I have had six fail on me in various different vehicles. I'll never buy another one again.
Based on your experience, how long should I expect my Redtop to perform flawlessly before problems begin?

the optima battery of today are junk... plan and simple. dont buy them.

now back in the day they were good. i have an older one , its going on 14 years of service ..

cant beat that. but i did pay about $400 for it new.

anyway dont buy one now.

look for a amg . in the size you need.

the optima battery of today are junk... plan and simple. dont buy them.
now back in the day they were good. i have an older one , its going on 14 years of service ..

cant beat that. but i did pay about $400 for it new.

anyway dont buy one now.

look for a amg . in the size you need.
Agreed. I have one that I bought in the early 2000s that's still powering my project '72 Blazer and that thing is started a couple of times a year. It's part of the reason I bought so many of them. Boy was I disappointed.

Agreed. I have one that I bought in the early 2000s that's still powering my project '72 Blazer and that thing is started a couple of times a year. It's part of the reason I bought so many of them. Boy was I disappointed.
exactly..

there relying on their past reputation.

just like kicker .. sorry but its true.

and ya i cant believe mines on about 14 year.. i wish i would have known i would have picked up a few..lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.