Battery or Alt

Stiffler63

I have the big 3 done and 3 normal batteries on a Brx2400.1 Brutus when the subs hit it pulls my volts to below 11. I havent even installed my Pioneer gm-d8604 for my highs yet or my led off road lights. So should I install deep cell batteries or an alternator. Im build the whole ride not just the sound system so I can put 900 in batts/alt. Will have 2000 in the system alone without upgrading those.

Idk I had a buddy who had a stock alt with a sundown 4500 on it and when he installed 3 big group 31's his voltage dropped worse with the batts because the batts didn't have an alt big enough to charge them quick enough

Idk I had a buddy who had a stock alt with a sundown 4500 on it and when he installed 3 big group 31's his voltage dropped worse with the batts because the batts didn't have an alt big enough to charge them quick enough
Sounds like your buddy was either clipping to hell causing hella volt drop.. Or he had ****** grounds.

Batts will only help at 12.6v. Once you are there they won't last long. Better batts will last longer than $100 dekas
Deka's still work quite well... No it isn't an XS Power, but they're hella cheap and still perform great.

On another note, by normal batteries, do you mean Lead Acid? If so that is certainly part of the issue because they aren't designed to be recharged super fast like AGMs. And yes, your stock alt is likely not enough to recharge 3 batteries so when you combine all this you can't keep 3 batteries charged up enough.

Deka's still work quite well... No it isn't an XS Power, but they're hella cheap and still perform great.
On another note, by normal batteries, do you mean Lead Acid? If so that is certainly part of the issue because they aren't designed to be recharged super fast like AGMs. And yes, your stock alt is likely not enough to recharge 3 batteries so when you combine all this you can't keep 3 batteries charged up enough.
From my experience it takes two to equal 1. Given that you are not saving any money in the end.

From my experience it takes two to equal 1. Given that you are not saving any money in the end.
How do you figure? a D3100 costs $350 (unless you know where I can get them new for cheaper then honestly, please tell me haha) give or take $20. If you look in the right places you can get Brand New Deka 9A31s for less than $150 shipped. Or you can get them used for typically $80 picked up or add whatever shipping is. Looks like you're saving a decent chunk of money to me.

I know in my area I can pick up 9A31s for 80$ that are less than 6 months old, all day long.

EDIT: Yes it does take a lot more space, but for me personally it isn't an issue.

Space, connections, cable, gas mileage. It all adds up. This is why people say you need 3 big batteries for 5000 watt setups. No you don't.
What would you say you need for a 5k setup which is what im building now? Ive always heard 3-4 group 31's and i was going to use 4 deka's but if you can persuade me otherwise that would be cool

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.