Battery Draining on 2000 Jetta

Participant count
  • Participant list

Stopshort

My battery has been draining for quite some time now and I am getting close to isolating the problem, but maybe some of you have more experience in these issues and can help me out. I had a JL audio amp and subwoofer installed in my car several years ago and everything was fine. Then two years ago I had an Alpine HU installed along with a Sirius adapter in line with an ipod adapter. Ever since I did this I have been losing charge in my battery, although I didn't notice it as much in the beginning. When the fuse for the amp is pulled and the power to the Sirius adaptor (which sends power to the ipod adaptor) is pulled the car doesn't drain. I plugged both back in and within 2.5 days the car was dead. I jumped it quickly and pulled the power to the Sirius. Next morning after 10 hours the battery just had enough to get me started, so I pulled the amp fuse again. Assuming the car starts when I get back to it after work today I will try the opposite configuration to see if it's just the amp and has nothing to do with the Sirius component.

I had professional installers look at the wiring set up to the amp and the Sirius unit and they stated that all looked good. I am guessing that the remote turn off to the amp is not functioning from either the stereo or the amp. Either way can I have a switch installed so that I can just turn the amp off and on when I want it or is that another electrical nightmare waiting to happen? Any comments on the above issue would be greatly appreciated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.