Batteries in roofrack.

Ionakron
10+ year member

Just hoping to get some helpfull input and ideas for this, but has anybody put batteries on a roof rack, safari rack, cargo carrier? How would you go about running wires into the cabin? The batteries would be in a sealed compartment of course to protect from weather. Im working with a jeep cherokee and trying to come up with some creative ideas for a full on build. Any input would be appreciated. [:

Something i'd have to custom fabricate? or is there someone who actually sells brackets for the undercarage?
My initial impression is that adding batteries to the roof would really throw off the center of gravity of the vehicle. It is worse than a bad idea. Custom fabrication is part of doing your own install. If you're not comfortable doing that, you have 2 options: Hire a shop to do it for you or scale it back so that your build requires no custom fabrication.

My initial impression is that adding batteries to the roof would really throw off the center of gravity of the vehicle. It is worse than a bad idea. Custom fabrication is part of doing your own install. If you're not comfortable doing that, you have 2 options: Hire a shop to do it for you or scale it back so that your build requires no custom fabrication.
So what would be the difference between say having a tire/jack and other cargo in a roof rack, as opposed to batteries? I'm not against custom fabrication, it'd just be easier finding some already made brackets or putting them up in the rack. Either way i'm doing it all on my own, otherwise whats the point?

So what would be the difference between say having a tire/jack and other cargo in a roof rack, as opposed to batteries? I'm not against custom fabrication, it'd just be easier finding some already made brackets or putting them up in the rack. Either way i'm doing it all on my own, otherwise whats the point?
The difference is the amount of weight. A tire jack might weigh 20 lbs if it's a beast. Cargo such as packed clothing in a suitcase can weigh 50-100lbs. 1 battery can approach 100lbs. Since you're talking about putting more than one up there, you're talking about adding a lot of weight. That's how it would be different. It's good that you're "thinking outside the box" but this idea was not a winner.

Tire/Jack+other cargo = less weight then 1 Group 31 battery. There is a reason nobody else puts their battery rack on top of their vehicle..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.