Basic mirroring set up frustration!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Beachin22

CarAudio.com Newbie
Raleigh
Hello all ~
I'm trying to set up basic mirroring on JVC KW-V250BT from an android Galaxy S8.
The HU does not have Android Auto or an hdmi input. It does however have a 3.5 a/v input and will play DVDs, etc. Bluetooth, Pandora and such all work fine and show full display. Straight video or mirroring thru front usb is not supported.
I saw a utube video that showed a mirror hook up to a similar Kenwood by converting the phone's USB-c output to hdmi video signal and then into the back input. Controls are still on phone but will stream maps, vids, etc.
So I installed the kit specifically made for galaxy models but av screen shows "no signal" after a brief technicolor fuzz along with a lovely loud hum.

Two questions:

1. Has anyone done this & did they just send me a bum converter?

2. Is there another work around? Phone does not support old protocol for Mirrorlink app unfortunately. JVC mirroring app for high end models doesn't seem to work either.

Thanks for any help!

What are you trying to mirror? I don't have any experience with this, but it seems like you will spend a lot of money to achieve what you are trying to do. Have you considered a new head unit that will support what you want?
Just a question, as I noticed that no one has responded to your post.
Good luck.

Thanks for the response!

Just want basic stuff like maps and such.
I currently have a Pioneer radio that supports Mirrorlink via Display Adapter Dongle. Maps is not all it's cracked up to be in Mirrorlink mode. When in portrait mode, the upper and lower banners take up alot of screen estate, leaving you with only the "You are here" icon. So I have to use it in vertical mode, in which the image is the same size as the phone screen. And using Waze does not allow me to use Pandora at the same time. So all considered, it is better to get one with built in navigation or an Android radio.

Well I'd like to use my Torque obd2 app to monitor engine vitals as well. The truck just has basic idiot lights. Torque will display everything from rpm to mpg.

Well I'd like to use my Torque obd2 app to monitor engine vitals as well. The truck just has basic idiot lights. Torque will display everything from rpm to mpg.
In that case, you will really enjoy it. I use mine with OBD Link MX and all vital information is displayed like a champ. You can also use it to make the screen into a speedometer with rpm, voltage, o2 sensor, boost and any information you want. I do not know if Torque obd2 will let you modify what displays, but if it does, you will have fun wirh it.

In that case, you will really enjoy it. I use mine with OBD Link MX and all vital information is displayed like a champ. You can also use it to make the screen into a speedometer with rpm, voltage, o2 sensor, boost and any information you want. I do not know if Torque obd2 will let you modify what displays, but if it does, you will have fun wirh it.

Oh yeah...Torque does all that on a mini dashboard that you can juggle the guages/size/location etc. How did you get it to display? Don't think my stereo will display thru usb cable...just music files, etc.

How did you get it to display?
The radio is an Appradio by Pioneer. All hardware and command prompts are preloaded, so I just had to connect an Super Exclusive Cable That Cost Too Much And You Cannot Use Anwhere Except On This Model Line by Pioneer. But I instead went wireless with a Microsoft Display Adapter that works fine. Only downside is it takes about a minute to connect.

After 9 zillion hours of research it seems like sister company Kenwood's higher end AV units require a proprietary mini av in jack that has vid/ground in different positions than standard. JVC mentioned this nowhere in manual or websites.
Phone will mirror thru cam input, so that isolated the mini av input as the bottle neck.
Hopefully this solves the problem.

Torque is one of my favorite apps, good stuff. All it takes is a 10 dollar bluetooth obd2 adapter and you're in business, it even has logging and combines sensors from your phone for stuff like acceleration.

The issue with a lot of these head units is the apps aren't standardized very well and don't have good reverse compatibility. My 2014 Honda's already too old for my android to reliably play pandora as it was intended. I have to use Bluetooth mode even though it's got pandora integrated. It makes me wonder if iOS has better backwards compatibility with car manufacturers because I've witnessed two android companies leave it behind at different times.

Torque is one of my favorite apps, good stuff. All it takes is a 10 dollar bluetooth obd2 adapter and you're in business, it even has logging and combines sensors from your phone for stuff like acceleration.
Makes me wonder why OBD radios are not ubiquitous. They seem to have gotten it right from the get go. You get HP, torque, fuel trims,o2 sensor logs. All the necessary data to diagnose an engine. Just like a dash mounted Solus.
When Android10 rolled out my phones started having issues at the same time. That may be what is happening with your connectivity to your car's Pandora application. I bugged Tmo for about a month straight. They finally got it fixed and now have no issues connecting to the usb dongles. I still cannot download free movies, but that is no biggie.

The guys at quality mobile video got back to me and confirmed the cable issue. They're sending our the correct one free of charge. Stand up company, highly recommend!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.