bandpass vs ported

Participant count
  • Participant list

treadburner
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
ive searched a little but did not really find what i was looking for

what is the difference between the 2 sound wise?

i have built plenty of ported boxes but a friend asked me to build him a 4th order box for his 15 in mojo's

basically im just trying to see what the difference is

ok BANDPASS BOXES TEND TO BE BIGGER THAN PORTED BOXESDEPENDING ON THE DESIGN 4TH ORDERS CAN BE MORE EFFICIENT THAN PORTED BOXES

ALL DESIGN DEPENDANT

I just died a little on the inside reading all those CAPS. But yes, this is a bandpass in a nutshell. It's basically a ported and a sealed box sandwiched into one. The PRO's are that you get the overall output/volume of a ported box with the clarity and accuracy of a sealed box. The CON's are that they are harder to design and build and when designed poorly (as most pre-fab bandpasses are) they will sound like poo and have an awful transient response/peak.

Those bandpass boxes you see at best buy all peak at an obnoxious frequency for the the most part. The salesmen there just know which songs have notes in those range to "WOW" you with their "amazing" output.

so then y would you want a bandpass if it is gonna be bigger then a ported box?especially if they sound about the same
who said they sound about the same...i never said that....4th order bandpass has sealed box characteristics...meaning ..i can play 10hz below my tuning frequency and worry if my coil is goin to tap dance on my backplate (unloading)

who said they sound about the same...i never said that....4th order bandpass has sealed box characteristics...meaning ..i can play 10hz below my tuning frequency and NOT worry if my coil is goin to tap dance on my backplate (unloading)
fixt

now you can stop worrying //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

so then since he wants something loud and low would bandpass be the way to go?
his last set up was 2 19ov2's or something like that at 28hz's
It really depends on what kind of subs he's going to be using this time around. Certain subs have resonant properties that will only work in one enclosure or the other.

For example, the DD9500 series. The only real option is a ported enclosure (a 6th order bandpass could be possible however). A sealed or 4th order with that sub and it's stiff suspension + lightweight moving mass just doesn't provide for a realistic transient response.

It really depends on what kind of subs he's going to be using this time around. Certain subs have resonant properties that will only work in one enclosure or the other.
For example, the DD9500 series. The only real option is a ported enclosure (a 6th order bandpass could be possible however). A sealed or 4th order with that sub and it's stiff suspension + lightweight moving mass just doesn't provide for a realistic transient response.
A DD sub will work in a 4th order.

A DD sub will work in a 4th order.

Really? I've heard of great results with the 3500 series in 4th order. From what I've heard the 9500's sound like ass in a 4th order. I even tried with WinISD when I was looking at designing some different boxes for my 12" Konaki (pretty **** similar T/S specs I might add). No matter what the specs, they all had a nasty peak and it either had a flat response that was small and unusable, or a decent usable range but with a large spike somewhere randomly in the transient response.

fixt

now you can stop worrying //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
lol thanx..its goin on 2am here in new york so im not 100% here mentally..lol

so then since he wants something loud and low would bandpass be the way to go?
his last set up was 2 19ov2's or something like that at 28hz's
depends on the design of the 4th order

but with the 19ov2's in a 4thorder they can definitly do there thing ...all design dependant

lol thanx..its goin on 2am here in new york so im not 100% here mentally..lol

depends on the design of the 4th order

but with the 19ov2's in a 4thorder they can definitly do there thing ...all design dependant

he does not have the 19ov2's... and those were in a ported box

now he has 15in mojos and wants to run them in a 4th order

would this be a good idea or should we make another ported box fort he mojo's

he likes loud but LOW music

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.