Bama's build

you should look into p.a.p.'s series 6k/moab,.. or possibly sourcing motors for much cheaper to build out.
paul is cooking up some interestingly wicked upcoming platforms out there in the great pac. northwest (6+ inch topology and such)

hopefully he'll be getting alma's old bronco done within the year to feature these new drivers.

https://pierceaud.io/product/moab/
kmsl. people think bigger coil= better.

well, when you get to producing a platform that takes 12kw+ rms, power compression and thermal dissipation become much more relevant to the point that you have to open it up to a larger diameter,.. also combats cone break-up in larger diameter woofers (18"+)

Got A few pieces of wood on the roof, one more and I'm going to put a sheet up. I have to decide for 15's or 18's because if 18's it looks like i will have to build around the corner roof supports to get the extra width, if 15's I might not have to and just build square. Also the floor should I put down 2x6's or just lay sheets down

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

189d83941ed205166dec76a92dcf3cf8.jpg

Got A few pieces of wood on the roof, one more and I'm going to put a sheet up. I have to decide for 15's or 18's because if 18's it looks like i will have to build around the corner roof supports to get the extra width, if 15's I might not have to and just build square. Also the floor should I put down 2x6's or just lay sheets down

189d83941ed205166dec76a92dcf3cf8.jpg
What are you using to bond wood to the roof?
Either way you will want to build around those corners to max the cu ft on the wall. It will also help to keep flex in check on top end.

Id say frame 2x6 on bottom if 15's if not build top to bottom with sheets.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

What are you using to bond wood to the roof?
Either way you will want to build around those corners to max the cu ft on the wall. It will also help to keep flex in check on top end.

Id say frame 2x6 on bottom if 15's if not build top to bottom with sheets.

I have a case of pl x8 and filling some of the gaps with wood being it's not flat. When I put up first sheet I plan on spray foaming.

There are certainly plenty of options but if you want to keep the price down and still hurt people 4 HDC3 18s would do the trick. And you could get by with less than 10k rms. The Taramps 8 or 10k costs 6-800 dollars. With tuning and testing you could close in on 160 for like 2 grand in equipment.

There are certainly plenty of options but if you want to keep the price down and still hurt people 4 HDC3 18s would do the trick. And you could get by with less than 10k rms. The Taramps 8 or 10k costs 6-800 dollars. With tuning and testing you could close in on 160 for like 2 grand in equipment.
I'm kinda sketchy about the hdc3's and their slinky problem with coils.

I'm in their facebook group and I don't know if people were clipping to death but it seemed to happen frequently
The hdc series are a bit stiffer then most subs, but ive only seen coils go bad from people clipping them and playing to low bottoming out.
The black nasty andrew was pushing stock hdc3's and never blew coils till he competed.

Which is why most serious guys use the custom aluminum version or move up to hdc4..

But i personally did 4 hdc3 18's and they did good from 32-40hz but going down to 20's was a downfall for them because of the stiffness

The hdc series are a bit stiffer then most subs, but ive only seen coils go bad from people clipping them and playing to low bottoming out.
The black nasty andrew was pushing stock hdc3's and never blew coils till he competed.

Which is why most serious guys use the custom aluminum version or move up to hdc4..

But i personally did 4 hdc3 18's and they did good from 32-40hz but going down to 20's was a downfall for them because of the stiffness

Yeah I don't think I want to run them, I think id rather save up a little more

well, when you get to producing a platform that takes 12kw+ rms, power compression and thermal dissipation become much more relevant to the point that you have to open it up to a larger diameter,.. also combats cone break-up in larger diameter woofers (18"+)
i dont' care about power compression if MMS is stupid high and efficiency is poop. personally Id do an under-hung driver with a much shorter coil and a large top-plate to get the BL and keep MMS in check. that's just me though. i wanna see you do some math and ill show you in math how 160DB is achievable with 2 18s and about 6kw. cabin gain man, coupling man. power-handling is the least of my worries when I build a high output driver.. watch my build long im building 2 18s off a pair of DD I series motors. i have 3kw. ill be shocked if i don't hit atleast 158 with 3kw

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Yeah I don't think I want to run them, I think id rather save up a little more
smart man.. they meter decently but sound like ***

[quote name='bamaman']I'm kinda sketchy about the hdc3's and their slinky problem with coils.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

[quote name='los33']The hdc series are a bit stiffer then most subs, but ive only seen coils go bad from people clipping them and playing to low bottoming out.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
@Jeffdachef might know something. Afterall, he's running or was running AQ subs.

[quote name='los33']The hdc series are a bit stiffer then most subs, but ive only seen coils go bad from people clipping them and playing to low bottoming out.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

My 4 hdc318s setup went down to 17hz strong easily before it seriously rolled off. Box is tuned to 36hz as well...

@bamaman get something other than soundqubed. They are okay for budget SPL but there are much better woofers out there that will sound a lot cleaner. Also yes they will slinky if you put more than rated power to them and clip for more than 10-20 seconds. Go for American made coils.

[quote name='Jeffdachef']My 4 hdc318s setup went down to 17hz strong easily before it seriously rolled off. Box is tuned to 36hz as well...

@bamaman get something other than soundqubed. They are okay for budget SPL but there are much better woofers out there that will sound a lot cleaner. Also yes they will slinky if you put more than rated power to them and clip for more than 10-20 seconds. Go for American made coils.[/QUOTE]

AQ doesn't use American made coils?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.