bad tranny?

09civic
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
so today i was driving home and my "service engine" light pops on. so i come to a stop light and go to accelerate and it wont go into 3rd gear. it goes in 2nd fine. after second, i have to get up to 40 mph to get it into 4th. does my tranny need to be flushed or replaced? thanks.

oh its a 1995 saturn SL1, automatic, 65k miles.

crossdresser1.jpg

Sounds like a bad tranny to me.

if you had expirience is a piece of cake if you haven't then its a pain in the a55. are you going to change the whole transmission ? or a sineloid?

sounds like its prolly a tranny problem (could be something more minor... but its hard to tell, with it just having started)... word of advice tho, just be careful about the shop you take it too... one of the oldest tricks in the book, for rip off shops atleast, is to just flush the tranny... it makes it run great for 50-100 miles, then runs even worse then before... seen it multiple times

sounds like its prolly a tranny problem (could be something more minor... but its hard to tell, with it just having started)... word of advice tho, just be careful about the shop you take it too... one of the oldest tricks in the book, for rip off shops atleast, is to just flush the tranny... it makes it run great for 50-100 miles, then runs even worse then before... seen it multiple times
will a popular auto place recommend it? for example, gattos.

anyone that recommends a flush right away, before even looking at the problem, i would stay away from... sometimes a flush can fix problems... but due to the fact that the tranny is a closed system, its more time then not not going to do the job... alot of people think that a flush is a cure-all.. but most likely, with just a flush, the problem will go away for a lil bit, and then rear its ugly head again down the road. almost impossible to diagnose over the web tho... best advice i can give you, if the problem continues to happen, is to take it to a reputable shop, and have them look at it

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Wrong.... auto boxes have clutches on the inside //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
agreed... autos usually have multiple clutch plates... thats one of the reasons their such a pain to work on

I'm surprised nobody said it yet but get the fu ck'n codes checked first. It's obviously something electrical causing the trans to act up. Some of you guys are to quick to jump at " uuuuuh the trans busted bro" when you have no ******* idea how to even change you're own god dam oil..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.