Back with a new car, but the same issues.

Participant count
  • Participant list

ArmyNavyCopGuy

Senior VIP Member
Ok so, some of the regulars here may remember my 30 page thread from back in May

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/general-discussion/616246-im-putting-together-complete-system-29.html#post8708490

(dont know how to embed sorry)
HDS312 D4 powered by JBL GTO 1001EZ in a custom box.

Front speakers are Alpine Type S SPS-610C. Did a little fabrication to install the tweeters into the door.

Rear speakers are Alpine Type S SPS-619.

Long story short, that cars engine died, so I went out and bought a 2015 Honda CRV EXL. 3 months into owning this car, either the passenger speaker or sub has blown and rattles. So now I'm going to upgrade the front stage speakers and put the sub from that thread into the CRV. So here is my question:

I really enjoyed the sound from the Alpine front stage, so I want to just put everything I had in the Accord, into the CRV - However I'm being told that is a waste, because they will sound terrible unless I upgrade the headunit and stock amp? Is that true?

I wouldn't bother upgrading factory speakers without at least future plans for adding an amp. Might sound better but you'll lose output for sure, those factory speakers are designed to get loud on 8-10W.

Also if you have some money you should really get into the type R components/coaxials. It's a big step up from the S series... they're really quite nice for big-box-store tier components.

I wouldn't bother upgrading factory speakers without at least future plans for adding an amp. Might sound better but you'll lose output for sure, those factory speakers are designed to get loud on 8-10W.
Also if you have some money you should really get into the type R components/coaxials. It's a big step up from the S series... they're really quite nice for big-box-store tier components.
Even though the system is 328w?

I understand that the type Rs are really nice, but they are $210 more than the type S. The Type S on the $90 pioneer radio I had sounded really good to me.

Even though the system is 328w?
I understand that the type Rs are really nice, but they are $210 more than the type S. The Type S on the $90 pioneer radio I had sounded really good to me.
pretty sure thats just a peak number and the subwoofer would eat up most of the real rms. Just toss it in. The type S speakers dont need an amp to get loud either. But i'm betting the stocks might actually sound better since its optimized for that head unit's EQ curve along with properly baffled for the car.

I'd narrow down the problem first before doing an overhaul. If you do, look into getting a cheap dsp like soundstream harmony if you want to keep the stock head unit.

pretty sure thats just a peak number and the subwoofer would eat up most of the real rms. Just toss it in. The type S speakers dont need an amp to get loud either. But i'm betting the stocks might actually sound better since its optimized for that head unit's EQ curve along with properly baffled for the car.
I'd narrow down the problem first before doing an overhaul. If you do, look into getting a cheap dsp like soundstream harmony if you want to keep the stock head unit.
I was going to cut off the stock sub. Would that help?

No, the sub is going to have its own separate channel. Whether it's connected or not shouldn't affect the speaker channels

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ok found the problem. A plastic wrapper of some sort made its way under my seat and wedged itself on the sub. No blown speakers.

But, I still wish that the speakers were louder. So i need a dsp if I'm going to change the front stage?

Ok found the problem. A plastic wrapper of some sort made its way under my seat and wedged itself on the sub. No blown speakers.
But, I still wish that the speakers were louder. So i need a dsp if I'm going to change the front stage?
That or a new head unit. You have no idea how the type S speakers will sound with your stock head unit's EQ curve.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.