Audio Tech installed speaker grill and then subwoofer beside the grill (not directly over it)

joshbordes

CarAudio.com Newbie
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Hey there,

Curious to hear ya'lls thoughts, please! I paid an audio shop to install a 10 inch sub with a speaker grill over it in my cargo space (side panel) in my range rover. Long story short, they cut the circle out and placed a grill over the hole. However when they went to do the woofer install, the subwoofer wouldn't fit behind the grill, so they placed the woofer beside the grill behind the panel. Therefore I have a speaker grill with just an amp behind it (it looks pretty empty essentially).

The tech said the sound loss is minimal with the subwoofer beside the hole and the hole will help with cooling the amp. My question is, is that true? Or would it have just been better not to cut the hole and leave the subwoofer behind the panel? I'm curious if I just have a useless speaker grill or not. I've attached a photo below:

Thank you,

Josh

OP
J

joshbordes

CarAudio.com Newbie
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Bump. Would love ya'lls opinion on if I need to move the subwoofer actually behind the grill/hole.

JRsmoothee

caraudio.com negative asshole
10+ year member
Aug 12, 2008
in the alley behind your house
so....the sub is right next to that grill underneath the panel? (better pics would help) if so...take that shit back and have it redone...or just grab your ankles and bite down on something

OP
J

joshbordes

CarAudio.com Newbie
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Yes that is correct JR. they installed the sub beside the hole/grill. Is this a total mess up or are there any benefits from this configuration?

JRsmoothee

caraudio.com negative asshole
10+ year member
Aug 12, 2008
in the alley behind your house
having the sub behind the panel like that would significantly reduce output and sound shitty....take that sh*t back or better yet get your money back and have someone else do it, any decent installer knows better than to do that crap

OP
J

joshbordes

CarAudio.com Newbie
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I called another audio shop and they said it’s not ideal but since a sub is a multi directional speaker, it’s not that big of a deal. Thoughts?

BCotrell

Senior VIP Member
May 27, 2015
irvine, ca
the panel and grill isn’t a big deal. Put a thin piece of black polyester fabric on the backside of the grill and it will look more solid. Then Nobody will be able to see the mistake. The challenge is that you still have a woofer behind a panel. Can they cut a hole where the sub currently is and place a grill? If so they owe you a new panel to try it again. Cut should have been last

shredder2

Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2017
Az
OMG... benefits?.. configuration?
what type of sub is in there?.. hard to tell but by chance is it a powered prefab?

OP
J

joshbordes

CarAudio.com Newbie
Aug 28, 2019
USA
It’s a JL Audio 10TW3D4 and a JL Audio XD300 Amp. I’ve been told the hole even though it’s not lined up with the subwoofer helps with airflow and cooling the amp. That said, I feel like it’s not ideal but nothing to freak out about. I hope I’m right in that assumption.

BCotrell

Senior VIP Member
May 27, 2015
irvine, ca
It’s a JL Audio 10TW3D4 and a JL Audio XD300 Amp. I’ve been told the hole even though it’s not lined up with the subwoofer helps with airflow and cooling the amp. That said, I feel like it’s not ideal but nothing to freak out about. I hope I’m right in that assumption.
Is the sub hitting the panel when it’s on? Also I would think it rattles the hell out of that panel. No?

OP
J

joshbordes

CarAudio.com Newbie
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Only if you crank the bass up high which isn’t too much of an issue for me as I don’t usually put the base up at that level. Im just a little bothered by the hole in my panel unless it’s serving some purpose like cooking the amp.

Boomin_tahoe

Hurtin' feelings errrday.
10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
Pretty sure JL audio makes specific grilles for that particular sub: i.e. their ho enclosures. The shop should have known better. They cut corners and ripped you off a bit.

OP
J

joshbordes

CarAudio.com Newbie
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Pretty sure JL audio makes specific grilles for that particular sub: i.e. their ho enclosures. The shop should have known better. They cut corners and ripped you off a bit.
Yea, the JL grill is on there but the amp is behind it, not the subwoofer.. :(

Boomin_tahoe

10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
So the amp is inside the enclosure? I'm trying to make sense of your yibber yabber but don't see any pics of the sub, just the grille part.

Oldmang

CarAudio.com noob
Aug 11, 2019
Az
So the amp is inside the enclosure? I'm trying to make sense of your yibber yabber but don't see any pics of the sub, just the grille part.
I think its like a beauty panel in front of the enclosure/amp with the enclosure oriented sideways.
Best I can tell by those pics anyways... :unsure:

Boomin_tahoe

10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
So the sub/amp mounted inside behind that so called beauty panel with a sub grille near the edge?? I'm thinking I get it but it's confusing a bit. I would not have done that install like that. That amp will heat up fast in that area, regardless of that hole there. I would have mounted that amp on top of that panel, all wires hiding behind it, amp exposed to natural air, less chance of shutting down because of overheating.

OP...remove that stupid panel and expose the amp/sub & post up a pic if you can.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds