Audio Tech installed speaker grill and then subwoofer beside the grill (not directly over it)

joshbordes

CarAudio.com Newbie
USA
Hey there,

Curious to hear ya'lls thoughts, please! I paid an audio shop to install a 10 inch sub with a speaker grill over it in my cargo space (side panel) in my range rover. Long story short, they cut the circle out and placed a grill over the hole. However when they went to do the woofer install, the subwoofer wouldn't fit behind the grill, so they placed the woofer beside the grill behind the panel. Therefore I have a speaker grill with just an amp behind it (it looks pretty empty essentially).

The tech said the sound loss is minimal with the subwoofer beside the hole and the hole will help with cooling the amp. My question is, is that true? Or would it have just been better not to cut the hole and leave the subwoofer behind the panel? I'm curious if I just have a useless speaker grill or not. I've attached a photo below:

Thank you,

Josh

so....the sub is right next to that grill underneath the panel? (better pics would help) if so...take that **** back and have it redone...or just grab your ankles and bite down on something

Yes that is correct JR. they installed the sub beside the hole/grill. Is this a total mess up or are there any benefits from this configuration?

having the sub behind the panel like that would significantly reduce output and sound shitty....take that sh*t back or better yet get your money back and have someone else do it, any decent installer knows better than to do that crap

I called another audio shop and they said it’s not ideal but since a sub is a multi directional speaker, it’s not that big of a deal. Thoughts?

the panel and grill isn’t a big deal. Put a thin piece of black polyester fabric on the backside of the grill and it will look more solid. Then Nobody will be able to see the mistake. The challenge is that you still have a woofer behind a panel. Can they cut a hole where the sub currently is and place a grill? If so they owe you a new panel to try it again. Cut should have been last

It’s a JL Audio 10TW3D4 and a JL Audio XD300 Amp. I’ve been told the hole even though it’s not lined up with the subwoofer helps with airflow and cooling the amp. That said, I feel like it’s not ideal but nothing to freak out about. I hope I’m right in that assumption.

It’s a JL Audio 10TW3D4 and a JL Audio XD300 Amp. I’ve been told the hole even though it’s not lined up with the subwoofer helps with airflow and cooling the amp. That said, I feel like it’s not ideal but nothing to freak out about. I hope I’m right in that assumption.

Is the sub hitting the panel when it’s on? Also I would think it rattles the hell out of that panel. No?

Only if you crank the bass up high which isn’t too much of an issue for me as I don’t usually put the base up at that level. Im just a little bothered by the hole in my panel unless it’s serving some purpose like cooking the amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.