Audio shop can't get it right? Or could it be something else.

VapeOut702

I bought a 2002 mustang gt and it came with 2 JL Audio w6's powered by a Phoenix gold titanium 600.2 amp. Stereo was sounding good for a while but then the amp started heating up and cutting out on heavy bass tracks. Took the car to a what I thought was a reputable audio place and they switched the amp out with a tarantula. Burned it up immediately so they grabbed a JL Audio JX 1000/1D and installed that it lasted for about 2 weeks then burnt up. I went back to them and they said my deck was bad the RCA's to the amp where putting out to many volts to the amp so I bought a new deck Kenwood excelon KFC-x397 and put another sound stream tarantula TN1.12000 in as a replacement for the JL audio because they didn't have another one in stock. The Stream lasted 1 day burnt up last night. Should I just get my money back and find someone else? Please help

Yeah get your money back. A shop that just swaps out gear like that without actually trying to find a solution to the problem is just trying to get your money. There has to be a reason that its killing all the amps beyond too high of voltage coming from the head. My first guess would be insufficient ground but could also be corrosion on the battery terminals bad connection somewhere between the amp and battery itself. Just noticed you're in nevada so I wouldnt think corrosion but more of a loose connection somewhere. If you have a dmm you could start to trouble shoot yourself. But its shops like that one that gives us other shops a bad reputation.

sounds like high gain, poor ground, incorrect gauge wire, etc.

.....maybe even bass boost on 18+db because it's free power lol

Do you still have the stock mach 460 in the car?

I also have a 2002 mustang gt. Where do you have your ground connection? I used a bolt behind the rear seats.

No I don't still have the Mach 460 when I bought the car it had a pioneer in it switched it for the Kenwood because they said the pioneer was bad. I just got back from the Audio shop and they switched it from 1 ohm to 4 ohms and said it shouldn't heat up any more so I guess it didn't burn up.

I bought a 2002 mustang gt and it came with 2 JL Audio w6's powered by a Phoenix gold titanium 600.2 amp. Stereo was sounding good for a while but then the amp started heating up and cutting out on heavy bass tracks. Took the car to a what I thought was a reputable audio place and they switched the amp out with a tarantula. Burned it up immediately so they grabbed a JL Audio JX 1000/1D and installed that it lasted for about 2 weeks then burnt up. I went back to them and they said my deck was bad the RCA's to the amp where putting out to many volts to the amp so I bought a new deck Kenwood excelon KFC-x397 and put another sound stream tarantula TN1.12000 in as a replacement for the JL audio because they didn't have another one in stock. The Stream lasted 1 day burnt up last night. Should I just get my money back and find someone else? Please help
pm sent to you

It took them that long to realize that the configuration was too low impedance for amps. I would definately go to another shop or completely rewire everyting with new wire. There has to be a problem that is probably minor but causing issues that they didnt look for. A dmm would be first thing I grabbed instead of another amp or three on sop cost it sounds. If I'm the shop I would rather spend an hour of my time vs unhappy customer and multiple products being given away for replacement.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.