Audible difference between SA-12 and L7?

I did look for other threads. But none went into detail of why they're "bad" subwoofers. I read a lot of them being "Garbage" but nobody really explained why. Which is why I was curious and asked a question on here.
they all say why. horrible design, horrible parts. insanely high price.

L7's arent that bad, but they are also not that great...kinda like the purgatory of subs
I'm willing to bet that most of the people that have posted in here have never owned an L7. I have a pair of L7 10s that are just sitting around so I won't be admit to hear them for a few months when I get a chance to build a box for them.
yes unfortunatly ive owned l7.s ..still crap

The OP is noobalicious so he'd probably think the L7 in the prefab "Livin' Loud" enclosure is the shiz.
That's why I asked here in the first place... Thanks though.

I did look for other threads. But none went into detail of why they're "bad" subwoofers. I read a lot of them being "Garbage" but nobody really explained why. Which is why I was curious and asked a question on here.
2.5" coil; run clean 1000W and see how long they last. This is why L7's blow up all the time with new installers

not tryna add insult to injury here...but to me it seems most of the reasons why kicker is bad that are listed seem to be subjective. Fairly common opinions yet opinions altogether. horrible design. horrible parts. insanely high price. thats about the most clear cut answer ive got so far. now..im a kicker guy dont get me wrong..i dont LOVE kicker by any means and honestly wouldnt consider myself a kicker guy if ive ever tried anything else..so its kinda hard for me to grasp ya know? i see alot of you saying "The L7 gets loud, but sounds like crap" "its loud, but doesnt sound good" again this is mostly subjective but isnt loud good?..u could follow that up with "not if it sounds like crap" lol i mean its all subjective to me....what exactly do you mean by "Sound Good"?? as was stated above i like some trunk rattlin and most people with L7s dont care about SQ which i know i dont...so is it that the L7 is obnoxiously loud and pisses others off? or does it not hit notes accurately? or what is it literally that doesnt sound good? I wish someone would post a video of an L7 sound and a SA 12 sound and dissect the two to determine [[by Ear]] that it sounds like crap...

whew..sorry..just never got to the bottom of why kicker is soo bad aside from price and parts..and again not tryna beat a dead horse..just want a few answers without making a new thread

Well since it's back open, I'll try to explain at least a little bit.

If you're just looking for something to move air and make a presence, then you're right. The L7 will do just fine. It's not until you're looking for clear separation of notes below 50Hz and its ability to blend in with the rest of your sound stage that you'll understand the importance of SQ in a sub. Download a box-building software and look at some of the FR curves for different subs, the L7 included. Subs that perform better on an SQ end will have a flatter response.

The L7? Not so flat. Which means you have to compensate by extra EQ and some people can't afford/don't want to deal with all of that.

not tryna add insult to injury here...but to me it seems most of the reasons why kicker is bad that are listed seem to be subjective. Fairly common opinions yet opinions altogether. horrible design. horrible parts. insanely high price. thats about the most clear cut answer ive got so far. now..im a kicker guy dont get me wrong..i dont LOVE kicker by any means and honestly wouldnt consider myself a kicker guy if ive ever tried anything else..so its kinda hard for me to grasp ya know? i see alot of you saying "The L7 gets loud, but sounds like crap" "its loud, but doesnt sound good" again this is mostly subjective but isnt loud good?..u could follow that up with "not if it sounds like crap" lol i mean its all subjective to me....what exactly do you mean by "Sound Good"?? as was stated above i like some trunk rattlin and most people with L7s dont care about SQ which i know i dont...so is it that the L7 is obnoxiously loud and pisses others off? or does it not hit notes accurately? or what is it literally that doesnt sound good? I wish someone would post a video of an L7 sound and a SA 12 sound and dissect the two to determine [[by Ear]] that it sounds like crap...
whew..sorry..just never got to the bottom of why kicker is soo bad aside from price and parts..and again not tryna beat a dead horse..just want a few answers without making a new thread
read someone say it's got somethin to do with the square cone being heavy in order to make up for it being a weaker structure than a circle. the added weight makes the transitions between notes sloppy? idk man, i'd take an SA cuz you can recone it easily

ohhhh so its more of the separation of notes below 50hz basically making it all sound muddied together huh? hmm never thought of that...i just thought it was massive bass..hmm i was wrong..well u explained it well and i pretty much get it now..im not left wondering..lol

is there a song that you can think of that has bass notes like u explained that the L7 doesnt separate? id like to hear an example of this muddy bass compared to accurate separation in lower bass notes..

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

Couldn't just let it die, could you.....
no i couldnt actually...lol this subject really bothered me

Sure, anything from Miles Davis' Kind of Blue for starters. With good SQ, you should actually get the sense there's a finger plucking a bass string.

Sure, anything from Miles Davis' Kind of Blue for starters. With good SQ, you should actually get the sense there's a finger plucking a bass string.
thanks...this^^ i like...lol someone who actually provides when asked. thanks kudos for that..ill def check that out asap. may be a lil harder to hear exact L7 recreation when i have a CVX but maybe my L3 will suffice

Overpriced. Can barely handle rated power. Extremely enclosure picky. Can't reproduce music accurately. Just overall a bad sub for the money. I actually like kicker, but the L7 is a complete failure imo.

thanks...this^^ i like...lol someone who actually provides when asked. thanks kudos for that..ill def check that out asap. may be a lil harder to hear exact L7 recreation when i have a CVX but maybe my L3 will suffice
Lets not forget he 12 L7 needs a box the size of a round 15 to get loud and sound half decent. So whats the point of a L7? Round 15 will be more accurate and get louder. The guys with the 'living loud' boxes that are WAY to small think they are loud, put them on a real meter and you will see they are not loud at all. A lot like distortion sounds loud to the ear but its not on the meter.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.