This is weird.

Full Tilt
10+ year member

Bonafide MAFer
Iowa
Hi guys. If you've seen my previous thread, you'd know that I just got my new system hooked up. It's an SA-15 on 900w in about 2.5 cubes, supposedly at 33 hz. I believe it, this thing wrecks the low notes.

Anyway, I just got it installed 2 nights ago, and I love it - it shakes absolutely everything in my car. It hits really hard, but it just doesn't seem..loud. I mean, you don't get that feeling where your ears feel weird because it's so loud. As far as feeling goes, it hits harder than any car I've been in. But the actual 'loudness' just doesn't seem to match how hard it's hitting. Is it because it's tuned so low compared to some of my freinds' systems? Any ways to improve it little by little? I'm just trying to perfect it now.

Ya, its a power problem most likely. You are moving air (feeling it "hit") but not producing enough dbeez. Moar power plz, then report back.

Prob cuz its lucky if its getting 500w from that kenwood amp and your friends systems are prob prefab boxes with the gain and bass boost jacked up
That first problem is a probability, but I do have a pal with the same amp on 2 pioneers - it doesn't sound bad at all. But I don't hang out with a bunch of air-headed idiots who don't know how to put a system together. They know better than to crank too hard on the gain, or at all on the bass boost. I'm going to be investing in a new amp, what would you suggest to feed my SA?

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Ya, its a power problem most likely. You are moving air (feeling it "hit") but not producing enough dbeez. Moar power plz, then report back.
Suggestions, Cap'n?

I would get a maxxsonics amp if you are on a budget, like the MBQ 1600
It's not too tight, but to be honest, I really don't feel like paying prices like Sundown amps. Just a decent one that'll get the job done. I'm thinking a BRZ1200, then run it at 1 ohm and just back off the gain.

It's not too tight, but to be honest, I really don't feel like paying prices like Sundown amps. Just a decent one that'll get the job done. I'm thinking a BRZ1200, then run it at 1 ohm and just back off the gain.
right now a brz1700 is 189. cant beat that much.

i kinda agree with mistrass, when my system is at a high volume, i'd like to say it hits "loudest" between 37hz and 43hz (give or take 1 or 2 hz)
So, the lower your sub hits, the more it's going to appeal to the 'feel' sense instead of it actually 'sounding' loud?

So, the lower your sub hits, the more it's going to appeal to the 'feel' sense instead of it actually 'sounding' loud?
that's what i've noticed. my car really rattles when anything below 32hz plays. but like i said between 37 and 43 it's loud haha.

when i was really cool and running a prefab box, anything below 35hz just moved air and might as well have made no sound at all.

Lower to a point usually sounds louder to the ear, and higher "usually" meters better. Depends upon vehicle, sub, tuning, power, ect...

I also wouldn't expect a single SA 15 to be painful

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.