AQ HDC3 12" Questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

fozzymuphet
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ok So now I have the money ($800) and I want to go bigger.

I like the HDC3 12" but I'm not sure what the difference is between the copper and aluminum coils and if I really need to spend the extra money for a DD.

Also I was thinking of pairing it with a AQ1200D. Is this a good match or should I bump up to a 2200?

Also can the 1200D be run off of 4ga or should I get a bigger main?

Can the 1200D be run down to .5ohms daily?

One final question.

I really want an 18 but I can only give this sub 2.5cu and MAYBE up to 3.5 but definitely not the 4.5 that the manufacturer recommends. Would a 12 perform better than an 18 in 2.5-3.5cu's

you dont want an 18 in a tiny box like that.

id use the 2200 for the hdc

no need to go with the dd, its like 3 times the price.

Unless you run the 2200d, I see no point for the alum coils. As for running the amps at .5ohms, I wouldnt not suggest it, especially considering since you asked about the guage size for power wire, and its not covered under warranty if you mess it up... On to the power wire, 4 guage is fine for the 1200d for a small length from the distro block. I would suggest 0 guage from the battery to the distro block, and you could get away with 4 guage ran a couple feet to the 1200d.

Well that's good news then. I have 4ga from the battery to my current amp and no distro just an inline then a second 8ga from the battery to my component amp with an inline. I believe my 4ga fuse is an ANL. I'm thinking I might go with the 1200D now so that my current electrical system can handle it and if I feel the need for more power get a second 1200D and strap it with either a second 12 or a bigger sub like a treo.

I don't want to go much bigger than the system I described though just because this car is a commuter and I still need some trunk space.

Also the reason I asked about .5ohms is the amps look pretty **** solid and I was just wondering if they could handle it. Then I could run a D1 HDC312 and have even more power through the relatively cheap amp.

The amps may look solid, but you have no electrical to back it up. Even if you did, you'll blow that amp at .5 ohms. Stick with the rated ohm load and add the Flatwind in case you decide to go with more power later on.

Only going to help the resale value as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.