anyone lives in sothwest florida or close

I would actually love to hear what ideas you have, because I think there's a couple different ways we can do it. And that's funny, I didin't know there was anyone else that lived in this town on this forum.

I only know how to do this in concept and there is either wholy modifying the door or essentially clamping an enclosure to the door, but with the orientation of the stock speaker grill, the depth of the speaker really needs to go right into where that stock grill is, so im just trying to think of how that can be removed or modified and have it still look good. I'm thinking if we can remove the entire grill and somehow use like even chicken wire or some kind of mold, we can fiberglass a makeshift enclosure that will slide into that hole that the stock grill left.

But then, how does one attach the new "enclosure" to the existing door panel?

I haven't had time to really look at it, I have one door panel taken off but it's at my buddy's house that is supposed to do all of this if/when he has time. But, every bit of help is appreciated. The Door panel is put together with multiple pieces I think, one of which is the mesh speaker grill that you see in the picture but its not easily detachable if at all; I think it's a plastic piece that has a circular hole cut out with mesh covering the whole piece, and if I recall it LOOKS like it was just it's own piece that was fitted into the door panel snug, but could be glued and who knows what else, so I dunno if there is a clean way to get it out or what I would even do if I did...

What do you suggest then? Right now there is a stock nakamichi large plastic box where the mid is mounted into the door itself, then the panel with grill slides over with about.... maybe 1/2-1" of clearance between the mid and the door panel. New mids have about ~3.1 inch mounting depth. MLK 165's for an exact number.

Wait, were you the M3 that was at Autotronics last sunday for the sound competition?
Yessir:)
Really, i would cut around the whole grill for a hole big enough for a couple mdf baffles stacked together, and then put a nice speaker grill on top, usually most components come with nice covers:)

I remember you. Not because of how the car sounded, because I actually didn't get to hear it... but because of the fact that it was the one and only car there that actually looked good. Everything else was ghetto. Bravo.

Ultimately that's what I want to do, is something similar to what you're saying, I just don't really know where to begin and I'm kinda just leaving it in the hands of my buddy, as long as he can get moving on it in the near future. The grilles are pretty nice that come with them actually. I thought last night about just fiberglassing a whole new door panel, but I'm wondering if that would be more trouble that it's worth.

Well whenever you want to hear it, your welcome to. And thank you, btw. 2 people came up and asked what I had for subs, after looking after my 8's. I'm like, "those ARE my subs" and they said "Oh, i thought they were your mids" Then hit a 142.7 and surprised the sh!t out of people

But If you need any help I'm willing. I'd love to see what these Hertz look/sound like too.

Fiberglass is an option, but not only a really nice pro job going to be expensive, but DIY is possible but it's a lot of work to get right. I'd try first option first, fiberglass if it's not good enough:)

Oh I wasn't saying I'd have it professionally done anyway, hell, if I had the time, work area (**** apartments) or the tools, I could probly pull it off with enough time, but I want it done before the end of march when I go to miami; I've been piecing this together since before xmas and I'm finally ready, but I'm just too **** busy to give up my car. My buddy used to own an audio shop for many years, so I'm having faith that he isn't too rusty. He says he can do it, so I'm going to believe him unless he drags ass too much and I have to enlist the help of other talented individuals.

Hell yeah I'd love to hear it, there are days I really miss the drive of my 3 series, granted it was no m3 and it was an early 90s model, but it was still a very fun car.

Well I think i might take the record for loudest M3 in the world. Haha then again i realize putting 150lbs in the back of a M3 is a oxymoron:crap:

Could be. lol. I've seen one or two really nice m3 installs, but yeah, most people don't take them and make them heavier. But we, are not most people. Just like on pretty much ALL of car domain, take my car and maybe 7 of them on the entire site actually have good audio upgrades.. most just touch the performance of it and leave the radio stock, in fact I saw more people on forums just looking for direct factory replacement drivers because they couldnt be bothered with the undertaking of what I'm doing. I hate that I have to change the stock look of my car, but it's what it takes to get what I'm looking for. 4" speakers just aren't going to cut it. So, it's gotta be done right, and that's what makes me nervous because it's not something I'm well versed in.

I remember you. Not because of how the car sounded, because I actually didn't get to hear it... but because of the fact that it was the one and only car there that actually looked good. Everything else was ghetto. Bravo.
Ultimately that's what I want to do, is something similar to what you're saying, I just don't really know where to begin and I'm kinda just leaving it in the hands of my buddy, as long as he can get moving on it in the near future. The grilles are pretty nice that come with them actually. I thought last night about just fiberglassing a whole new door panel, but I'm wondering if that would be more trouble that it's worth.
mine was ghetto?

i am apalled

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.