Anyone have experience with Chevy Impalas?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Lasherž

CarAudio.com Elite
A family member has a 2008 Chevy Impala and it's the most confusing car I've ever worked on. A lot of this has to do with the fact that its radio was stolen before they bought it and the thief cut the OEM harness off. I bypassed the harness no problem, but it has a PWM signal instead of an ignition wire. I'm looking to get this over with quick since it got tiresome in a hurry (they're not the most grateful person) and so I went searching for a fuse that was powered along with the ignition key. To my surprise every fuse in the kick panel has constant power with the car off and key removed, and quite a few under the hood do as well with exception of some light-related ones and crucial components like airbag I didn't want to mess with. Also baffling is that the fuse box in the kick panel is wired to positive and the fuse box under the hood is wired to negative. I've never heard of a fuse box that gets 12V with the + terminal on the battery before.

The previous owner of this car was a moron and did just about everything bad anyone in this forum has ever done without asking us about including but not limited to melting their negative battery clamp (I replaced it), having a much larger positive cable with a 200A fuse and weak ass OEM ground cable, the positive cable was just hanging out exposed in the trunk when I started looking at it, and they broke off a bolt for a engine brace trying to attach the ground to it too tightly. Is this really how impalas fuse boxes are wired or did he do some really stupid crap I haven't even begun to think about?

@fithwheel , lmao, owns like a dozen. Oh my bad that's a scooter. He can't even spell.
Well at this point it'd be nice to even have another 2005-2011 chevy of any type to compare it to. There's so much wiring changes in this car that I can't trust anything to be as intended.

Tomorrow I guess I'll pick up the Haynes repair and maintenance manual for it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.