Any help, gentlemen?

It could be possible that your CD-R quality is just a bad batch. Or your burner laser is going bad. Those verbatim and maxwell are made very cheaply. Every once in a while you’ll come across a 100 pack or 200 pack that practically every CD-R doesn’t work. I have come across a batch or 2 before that I had to literally throw away. Yes, Taiyo Yuden is the standard in CD-R’s but they are a bit more expensive. I have had many burners go bad on me too. Almost every laptop burner I had went dead within few years. The only one that has lasted me is the oldschool external cd/ dvd burner. You might want to look into this before buying a new headunit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@dsw1204; do you burn at 16x or higher? If so I would recommend burning at 4x or less. It will take much longer but it’s totally worth it. Burners get worn out quick at 16x and most likely the laser will skip. Before I used to burn at 16x when I first started out, the first track will play, then each song after will get worse and worse skipping to the point where it won’t even play. Once I started burning at 4x or lower, it solved that problem for me. But remember, your burner laser could also be going bad for writing so fast all the time.

I'm assuming that you've tried playing some of your old CD-Rs that used to work. I was reading somewhere that if you are burning your CD-Rs using max speed, it could create issues and the disc wouldn't be readable by CD players. Am hoping that you find a solution to your issue or possibly an alternative solution. Can you transfer your music to an external hard drive/ipod and use an AUX input? By the way, how do you like that Dayton HO 12? It was suggested to me as a possible upgrade for my SUV. I'm looking to add some bass to my ride and like SQ and boom too.

I'm assuming that you've tried playing some of your old CD-Rs that used to work. I was reading somewhere that if you are burning your CD-Rs using max speed, it could create issues and the disc wouldn't be readable by CD players. Am hoping that you find a solution to your issue or possibly an alternative solution. Can you transfer your music to an external hard drive/ipod and use an AUX input? By the way, how do you like that Dayton HO 12? It was suggested to me as a possible upgrade for my SUV. I'm looking to add some bass to my ride and like SQ and boom too.
Yes that is correct. I always burn at 4x now. Takes about 20 mins. 1x would be the best but it takes forever. If the laser is getting worn out, the lower the better.

Plenty of good reviews on Dayton HO’s. Highly recommend them for great sq at a bargain of a price and save tons of space.

It could be possible that your CD-R quality is just a bad batch. Or your burner laser is going bad. Those verbatim and maxwell are made very cheaply. Every once in a while you’ll come across a 100 pack or 200 pack that practically every CD-R doesn’t work. I have come across a batch or 2 before that I had to literally throw away. Yes, Taiyo Yuden is the standard in CD-R’s but they are a bit more expensive. I have had many burners go bad on me too. Almost every laptop burner I had went dead within few years. The only one that has lasted me is the oldschool external cd/ dvd burner. You might want to look into this before buying a new headunit.

Those Verbatim CD-Rs were working for the year and a half I've had my CD8051. They just stopped working, for whatever reason. So, I don't know if it is because it is of the quality of the Verbatims or not. I've tried inserting one of those cleaning CD discs and that did not work. I've tried blowing compressed air into the CD player and that did not work. I've tried burning a new CD-R with the Verbatim brand and that did not work, either.

I am not sure at what speed I am burning, but I do know it is the slowest speed available on my PC. I use Windows Media Player and the settings are: slow, medium, fast, fastest. I use slow.

I am not sure at what speed I am burning, but I do know it is the slowest speed available on my PC. I use Windows Media Player and the settings are: slow, medium, fast, fastest. I use slow.
Do you have another CD player at home that you can confirm if those CD's are readable? You say that your old CD-R's that used to work now don't work at all? Not even the first track? I use Nero Burning Rom for all my burning needs. Try downloading the free trial first and burn with that at 2x or 4x and see if it works. If all goes well, then I'll send you the full version through email. If it really doesn't work still, I suspect your burner laser is dead. Is it a laptop burner?

Do you have another CD player at home that you can confirm if those CD's are readable? You say that your old CD-R's that used to work now don't work at all? Not even the first track? I use Nero Burning Rom for all my burning needs. Try downloading the free trial first and burn with that at 2x or 4x and see if it works. If all goes well, then I'll send you the full version through email. If it really doesn't work still, I suspect your burner laser is dead. Is it a laptop burner?
No, my burner is from a desktop, not a laptop. It is weird, although. My Memorex CD-Rs will play, but only if I start from track 1. If I start from any other track, it will not play. Thus, if I am driving along and listening to music on a Memorex CD-R and then I turn off my car, when I start back up the Memorex CD-R will not play from that track. I will have to go back to track 1. And, even at that, when I get to a latter track with the Memorex (like track 6 or 7 or whatever) it will just stop in the middle of a song and I will have to start back at track 1.

No, my burner is from a desktop, not a laptop. It is weird, although. My Memorex CD-Rs will play, but only if I start from track 1. If I start from any other track, it will not play. Thus, if I am driving along and listening to music on a Memorex CD-R and then I turn off my car, when I start back up the Memorex CD-R will not play from that track. I will have to go back to track 1. And, even at that, when I get to a latter track with the Memorex (like track 6 or 7 or whatever) it will just stop in the middle of a song and I will have to start back at track 1.
Yea that sounds like a classic burning too fast scenario to me. I have experienced the same thing burning at speeds even as low at 10x or 8x. The lower you go, the less problems you will have. When you use Windows media player, how long does it take to copy a CD? if it's less than 20 mins, it's not 4x that's for sure.

Yea that sounds like a classic burning too fast scenario to me. I have experienced the same thing burning at speeds even as low at 10x or 8x. The lower you go, the less problems you will have. When you use Windows media player, how long does it take to copy a CD? if it's less than 20 mins, it's not 4x that's for sure.
I am not sure about that since I am burning at the slowest speed available from my Windows Media Player. I can't go any slower. But, it does take less than 20 minutes to burn a typical 60-70 minute CD.

[quote name='blazian87']@dsw1204; there's a thing called buffer underrun that causes the laser to be unstable and can't keep up with the writing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_underrun

Some programs like Nero and some others have some buffer techniques to safely burn at a constant rate but burning at low low speeds help the most. I think windows media player suc ks TBH.[/QUOTE]

I do have one CD-R that was burned with a friend's PC and she uses Nero. I will go and try that particular CD-R and see if that works. If so, I will be changing to Nero.

Well, I've tried that Nero burnt CD-R and it did not work, as well. I appreciate all the suggestions, folks. It's starting to look like I have only one option. Any other ideas?

I do have one CD-R that was burned with a friend's PC and she uses Nero. I will go and try that particular CD-R and see if that works. If so, I will be changing to Nero.
I know another program that works really well for making exact copies of CD’s and DVD’s. You can download it completely free at http://www.imgburn.com

What it does is make a duplicate copy of your entire CD as one ISO file and burns it into another CD. This is my go to program when it comes to copying because it’s small, easy to use, and fast. Nero is a very big program and it’s not free but I mostly use Nero for burning mp3’s into CD’s or making a CD with custom tracklist. It does pretty much everything tho so if ur interested in it, I can hook u up.

Well, I've tried that Nero burnt CD-R and it did not work, as well. I appreciate all the suggestions, folks. It's starting to look like I have only one option. Any other ideas?
Even if you use Nero, things can still go wrong in the burning process. Try burning with the img burn program I said and choose 2x or 1x. When it’s burning, don’t run any other program on the side and just leave your computer alone until the CD is done. I really doubt it’s your headunit if it still plays regular CDs fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.