Any help, gentlemen?

dsw1204

CarAudio.com Elite
I put in a NOS Eclipse CD8051 not quite a year and a half ago. I love this head unit. SQ is top notch. The sound I get from my system is really very dynamic and I account lot of this on my head unit. However, my CD8051 has started NOT playing CD-Rs. It will play CDs just fine. But, anything burned will not play. I have about 200 CDs and almost all are CD-rs. I need to burn all of my CDs because my eyesight is such that I cannot read the printing on the store-bought CDs (not without reading glasses, that is), thus I burn everything and print in big letters the name of the CDs on the CD-Rs so I can read them.

I should note that almost all of my CD-Rs are made by Verbatim. Some are Memorex and the Memorex ones, sometimes, play the first track and maybe the second or third before just stopping. Now, if I were to turn my car off and then turn it back on, the Memorex ones will not play unless I go back to the very first track. The Verbatim ones won't even play the first track, period.

Is my CD8051 toast? I do have a CD8053 waiting in the wings, but I do like the CD8051's looks and display better. If I can get the CD8051 to play CD-Rs I will keep it. What are your guys' opinions?

I've already done that, using a Verbatim CD-R and it will not play. The original CD plays. All CDs play. Just not CD-Rs. They used to play. I am at a loss. Hope I do not have to replace my CD8051.

I've already done that, using a Verbatim CD-R and it will not play. The original CD plays. All CDs play. Just not CD-Rs. They used to play. I am at a loss. Hope I do not have to replace my CD8051.
yep guess u gotta change it.. idk eclipse models made in last 10 yrs so can't really advise on that..

yep guess u gotta change it.. idk eclipse models made in last 10 yrs so can't really advise on that..
What do you know of CD-Rs of different brands. I was told some CD-R manufacturers did not hold to the standards and that may be why the Verbatim CD-R discs are not working (to make a long story short). Doing a little research on that subject, I found that JVC Taiyo Yuden Silver Lacquer CD-Rs are the ones that set the standards for CD-R discs. But, re-burning 200 albums might not be worth the effort, although.

idk i have a stack if unused maxell left they very old.. copied some of my cd's 10 yrs ago they still work except few songs have a bad spot on them.. some did get messed up but 1's i have mostly still work..

Yeah, that tells me that probably my CD8051 needs to be replaced. And, that is very depressing because I love this thing. It's a very simple, no-frills dead-head head unit. But, SQ is/was outstanding. So, it looks like I'll have to say bye-bye to it and put in the CD8053 (I love the Eclipse head units...at least the ones until 2005-2006).

You might want to eject a cd turn it off with the face still down and blow out the cd slot with canned air. I have the 8053 and will do everything so can to keep it going. I’ll try a burnt CD and see if it works still I’ve been using factory pressed CDs and my tablet hooked up to the aux in. Also try burning them in MP3 format and see if they work.

And my 8053 has been in faithful nearly nonstop use since 05 or so with only small hiccups like ESN activating itself and having to try to get ahold of Eclipse but since there going end of service for them I think they gave me a master unlock code because it’s activated again since but then unlocked it’s self after a few button presses.

You might want to eject a cd turn it off with the face still down and blow out the cd slot with canned air. I have the 8053 and will do everything so can to keep it going. I’ll try a burnt CD and see if it works still I’ve been using factory pressed CDs and my tablet hooked up to the aux in. Also try burning them in MP3 format and see if they work.
Thanks for the suggestion. I did go out and buy a can of compressed air, but that did not help. CD-Rs are still not playing. I am at a loss. It does look like I will just have to take out the CD8051 and install my CD8053.

And my 8053 has been in faithful nearly nonstop use since 05 or so with only small hiccups like ESN activating itself and having to try to get ahold of Eclipse but since there going end of service for them I think they gave me a master unlock code because it’s activated again since but then unlocked it’s self after a few button presses.
By chance, can you send my that master unlock code? That could be very handy if the CD8053 has a tendency to active the ESN by itself.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.