Any advice would be appreciated

Participant count
  • Participants list

Dafaseles

CarAudio.com Exclusive
So, 2011 Silverado. I got done cutting a big 'ol hole in the back. Accordion boot is in and it's a decently tight fit. It's not tight to the point of having to grease the port to get it in our out at all, but there aren't any huge gaps either. Came out nice.
The sheet metal back there is anything but flat. The port extends a little into the cab in some places, and doesn't quite get all the way into the cab in other places. Anyone have any ideas on how to pretty this situation up? Should i cut a piece of wood to fit over the back wall then fiberglass onto the port? Around the port? Fiberglass the whole thing? I'm a little puzzled at this point. I want out to look nice. Not just bare metal. I can take more detailed photos if anyone needs them to suggest something specific. Thanks in advance
Screenshot_20230108_011725_Gallery.jpg

Someone’s ready to do some serious bass. I’m curious about this also. My solution was just to layer the back wall with sound deadener and glue carpet right on top of the deadener. Easy, lazy and kinda looked decent. I was afraid the metal and wood would slap together if I did a beauty panel over the metal. I had to shove 20 tennis balls between the truck bed and the cab because of how that back wall flexed, so I thought a piece of wood over it might cause problems. I was thinking expandable foam between the wood panel and back wall would keep panel slap from happening, but I never tried it.

Someone’s ready to do some serious bass. I’m curious about this also. My solution was just to layer the back wall with sound deadener and glue carpet right on top of the deadener. Easy, lazy and kinda looked decent. I was afraid the metal and wood would slap together if I did a beauty panel over the metal. I had to shove 20 tennis balls between the truck bed and the cab because of how that back wall flexed, so I thought a piece of wood over it might cause problems. I was thinking expandable foam between the wood panel and back wall would keep panel slap from happening, but I never tried it.
I'm definitely ready for this build to be f*cking over! I want to hear it already! It's just finding time to work on it is the issue. It'll get done. Hopefully this year. I miss my truck.
I'm planning on getting the welders at work to cut me a couple of 1/8th thick strips of steel to screw onto the back sheet metal in hopes to keep it under control. Then sound deadening. My cousin stole some...I don't remember the correct name for it... but some expanding foam joints they use at work for water proofing concrete. We shoved those in between the bed and the cab, so that should work well, while also adding to the water proofing.
Expanding foam would be a good idea. I was hoping to be able to make a sticker collage back beauty panel. Only thing is, if I do that, how do I cover up that gap between the port and the sheet metal where the port doesn't extend into the cab all the way? It seems like carpet might be the best, easiest option like you said.

So, 2011 Silverado. I got done cutting a big 'ol hole in the back. Accordion boot is in and it's a decently tight fit. It's not tight to the point of having to grease the port to get it in our out at all, but there aren't any huge gaps either. Came out nice.
The sheet metal back there is anything but flat. The port extends a little into the cab in some places, and doesn't quite get all the way into the cab in other places. Anyone have any ideas on how to pretty this situation up? Should i cut a piece of wood to fit over the back wall then fiberglass onto the port? Around the port? Fiberglass the whole thing? I'm a little puzzled at this point. I want out to look nice. Not just bare metal. I can take more detailed photos if anyone needs them to suggest something specific. Thanks in advance View attachment 46230
I like the idea of wood wall covered with carpet, leaving the opening exposed. (That would hide all the metal.) I would build a speaker grill to cover the opening. Just a suggestion.

I can do that. That was the original plan to be honest. What do you think would be the best way to cover up that gap where the port doesn't extend past the sheet metal? That's such a d*mn eyesore!

Stuff it with foam and cut out the board to barely slide around the port. Put a large chamfer on the inside edge so it has minimum effect on the port tuning.

The sheet metal back there is anything but flat. The port extends a little into the cab in some places, and doesn't quite get all the way into the cab in other places. Anyone have any ideas on how to pretty this situation up? Should i cut a piece of wood to fit over the back wall then fiberglass onto the port? Around the port? Fiberglass the whole thing? I'm a little puzzled at this point. I want out to look nice. Not just bare metal. I can take more detailed photos if anyone needs them to suggest something specific. Thanks in advance View attachment 46230
Fill the cracks and holes with gap filler foam and put atleast 1/2 wood on the sides that could cost a db if you're looking to meter.

I like the idea of wood wall covered with carpet, leaving the opening exposed. (That would hide all the metal.) I would build a speaker grill to cover the opening. Just a suggestion.
The back seat is going back in for day to day use, so that'll protect the opening. I'll take the backseat out when I really want to show it off.

Stuff it with foam and cut out the board to barely slide around the port. Put a large chamfer on the inside edge so it has minimum effect on the port tuning.
I'm worried about the bed shaking one way, and the cab shaking another way going over bumps and sh*t. I'm worried it'll break something if I attach the beauty panel to the port. Should i not have to worry about that? I tend to over think things quite a bit.

Fill the cracks and holes with gap filler foam and put atleast 1/2 wood on the sides that could cost a db if you're looking to meter.
This is a my daily driver, but it would be cool to take out to a comp and see what it does. I'm worried about the cab and the bed shaking from hitting a bump or something, breaking the port of three beauty panel is connected to the port in anyway. Do you think that foam can act as a shock absorber of some sort? Or am I worried about nothing?

This is a my daily driver, but it would be cool to take out to a comp and see what it does. I'm worried about the cab and the bed shaking from hitting a bump or something, breaking the port of three beauty panel is connected to the port in anyway. Do you think that foam can act as a shock absorber of some sort? Or am I worried about nothing?
For sure it will how much idk but it will help immensely for deadening and unwanted rattles

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...