Any advice on my setup before I pull the trigger? First timer here.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Happynau

Hey guys, like the title says, this is going to be my first time picking and installing a whole system from the ground up, and it has been around 12 years since I've replaced a speaker or head unit. I'm trying to put together a decent single sub setup as economically as possible. I'm focused more on SQ than SPL, but I'd like to be able to get a little loud when I feel like it. This will be going into a Hyundai Veloster (hatchback), it's completely stock other than a 12" Kicker Comp and a no name amp pushing around 150W.

Until a few minutes ago I had my mind made up that I was going to run an SA 12D4 (~$195), but I just saw where I can get a slightly used SSA GCON for $160. The sub will be in a ported box, generic prefab until I get around to building a custom box. Anybody have any thoughts on which is a better pick? Here's the used GCONs: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofer-classifieds/598561-sound-solutions-audio-gcon-12-subwoofers.html

The amp I'm looking at is a Hifonics BRX5000.1. So far everything I've read about them here and elsewhere has been surprisingly good for such an inexpensive amp ($230). That would give me 60W x 4 for running speakers up front and 750x1 @ 2 ohms to feed the sub. Any reason I'd be better off going with separate amps, or just a different one?

I'm looking at Kicker DS65.2 6-3/4 shallow mount components in the front doors and Kicker DSC65 6-1/2s in the back. My car doesn't have a lot of clearance for speakers in the doors, I mainly picked these because I know they'll fit and they seem to match up well with the amp. I'm also considering Infinity Reference instead, a guy on another forum did a write up of how to make them fit, just seems like a lot of trouble.

Any reason for going with mainstream equipment other than the names you know ? And cheap , remember you get what you pay for in the car audio world Also a budget would be good here. Do you plan on doing any electrical upgrades ? Ie. big 3 better battery and or alt ?

Forgot to mention that I'm keeping the stock head unit, so I won't have preamp outputs. Sonicelectronix shows the amp having line level inputs, but I think they're wrong about that. I know there's some type of adapter you can use to get around that, would somebody mind telling me what I'll need to buy to make that setup work right? Thanks!

It's called a loc. and then get a eq. So you can run the amp or amps like you want. The eq will also give more adjustments to fine tune. Or get a processor but that can be $400+ for that. The lic and eq can be done for less than $100

As far as the 6 1/2" Kicker or Infinity speakers, the main reason is because I know for a fact that they'll fit. My car has a stupidly low amount of clearance for the speakers in the front doors, and Hyundai also made it pretty difficult to even get to the speakers, so I'm hesitant to get order something that may not fit after I spend 6 hours taking my door apart. I'm also more willing to sacrifice a little quality for savings (for now at least) here because even these relatively cheap kickers getting 60W should be a pretty huge improvement over stock. That said, if you know of anything that gives you more bang for your buck I'm all ears.

I wasn't even considering the Hifonics amp, but I noticed people in several different threads said that it was a surprisingly good amp for the money. So far I haven't found much of anything bad being said about it. It seems to fit my needs fairly well, so based on what I read I figured I'd give it a shot.

As far as budget, I can go to 1000, but I'd like to keep it under 800 if I can do that without sacrificing a whole lot. Big 3, yes. As far as I can tell I'd have to have an alternator custom made for my car, so that's a no go. I may or may not get a heavy duty battery, I'm going to see how much strain this setup puts on my electrical system before I buy one.

As far as the 6 1/2" Kicker or Infinity speakers, the main reason is because I know for a fact that they'll fit. My car has a stupidly low amount of clearance for the speakers in the front doors, and Hyundai also made it pretty difficult to even get to the speakers, so I'm hesitant to get order something that may not fit after I spend 6 hours taking my door apart. I'm also more willing to sacrifice a little quality for savings (for now at least) here because even these relatively cheap kickers getting 60W should be a pretty huge improvement over stock. That said, if you know of anything that gives you more bang for your buck I'm all ears.
I wasn't even considering the Hifonics amp, but I noticed people in several different threads said that it was a surprisingly good amp for the money. So far I haven't found much of anything bad being said about it. It seems to fit my needs fairly well, so based on what I read I figured I'd give it a shot.

As far as budget, I can go to 1000, but I'd like to keep it under 800 if I can do that without sacrificing a whole lot. Big 3, yes. As far as I can tell I'd have to have an alternator custom made for my car, so that's a no go. I may or may not get a heavy duty battery, I'm going to see how much strain this setup puts on my electrical system before I buy one.
Ok the hifonics amps are power hungry and not efficient speakers look at cdt cl62sl set amp wise either the American bass ph5100 sub the ab rx 12 the lic and eq around $100-$150. Depending on the loc then wires will be $100 and big 3. $45

Ok the hifonics amps are power hungry and not efficient speakers look at cdt cl62sl set amp wise either the American bass ph5100 sub the ab rx 12 the lic and eq around $100-$150. Depending on the loc then wires will be $100 and big 3. $45
Thanks, I'll definitely check those out. As far as the sub goes, do you have any opinion as far as a new SA 12 vs the used SSA GCON? I noticed the GCON has 3" voice coils vs the 2.5" on the SA 12, not sure what kind of difference that would make, if any.

Thanks, I'll definitely check those out. As far as the sub goes, do you have any opinion as far as a new SA 12 vs the used SSA GCON? I noticed the GCON has 3" voice coils vs the 2.5" on the SA 12, not sure what kind of difference that would make, if any.
The gcon may take more power I haven't messed with either sub so I can't really speculate. I do know the sa sub is more of a spl sub than sq. but in the right box. It can still sound nice

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.