Another, "which will be louder" thread. Simple ? though

I can do 4 cubes sealed or 4 cubes ported.

32 inches wide. This can house the two 15's or one 15 with a slot vent. Will be facing the rear of the trunk

17 inches tall

19 inches deep

This is my maximum size box I can fit if I went ported.

Just to let you know I just spent an hour on winISD and still can't get it.

i would say the 1 15 ported. tune to about 35 hz. im still learning where the port sq in comes into play with SPL or else i would recomend lol

is the sub we're talking about, the one in your sig?

If so, I'd say ported //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

Thank you. It's nice to see everyone trying to help me.

**** I never new it would be so hard trying to design a box for my SoundStream SPL 160. I guess I'll go for a single 15 but I still don't know which design and I haven't heard back from jellyfish420 and I have the MDF waiting for me.

Well I'm heading to bed. Hopefully wjen I get up, Jelltfish420 will pull through and I'll have a little present in my pm box. Can't wait to get my very first ported box started.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

There's no replacement for displacement.

It's the EXACT same argument as turbocharging a 4 vs. swapping in an 8.....

with the ported single, or the turbocharged 4, you get:

equivalent peak power, with less displacement, but with peakier and peakier response the more boost you try and gain (higher the tuning) and worse and worse SQ and transient response the bigger the box. (bigger the turbo, bigger the turbo lag, and worse and worse torque/hp ratio, throttle response)

you have to decide on a desired peak output range in the frequency band, where you want to have equivalent power to the dual subs, tune it just right for the sound you want, SPL (drag racing) SQ (daily driver) street beats (lowend, auto-x) and tune it high (292 cams, big turbo, short intake runners) low in medium size box (260e/278i cams, big turbo, long intake runners) or low in a big box ( 260 cam, small turbo, long intake runners)

And the benefits of the v8 swap/ dual ported is:

twice the output through the full rpm/frequency range, at the expense of more weight, more money, and more fuel economy/wattage. It's plug and play, the oldest trick in the book. But you can have the smoothest response, and both quality and output.

There's no replacement for displacement.
It's the EXACT same argument as turbocharging a 4 vs. swapping in an 8.....

with the ported single, or the turbocharged 4, you get:

equivalent peak power, with less displacement, but with peakier and peakier response the more boost you try and gain (higher the tuning) and worse and worse SQ and transient response the bigger the box. (bigger the turbo, bigger the turbo lag, and worse and worse torque/hp ratio, throttle response)

you have to decide on a desired peak output range in the frequency band, where you want to have equivalent power to the dual subs, tune it just right for the sound you want, SPL (drag racing) SQ (daily driver) street beats (lowend, auto-x) and tune it high (292 cams, big turbo, short intake runners) low in medium size box (260e/278i cams, big turbo, long intake runners) or low in a big box ( 260 cam, small turbo, long intake runners)

And the benefits of the v8 swap/ dual ported is:

twice the output through the full rpm/frequency range, at the expense of more weight, more money, and more fuel economy/wattage. It's plug and play, the oldest trick in the book. But you can have the smoothest response, and both quality and output.
yes, but he is wondering what will get louder, and the ported one CAN get louder (although only in limited frequencies) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

Man, I just got done building a 3.5 cf enclosure tuned to 33Hz. Going to hook it up in the morning. What a job it was but I kinda enjoyed it. I think since a sheet only cost $20 I think I'll start building one once a week till I get the sound I want and sell whats left over. Hell, I can make a side business doing it.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.