Android Tablet in Car?

I would also worry about the quality of the audio coming out of any tablet.

I'd say if you focused on getting a good head unit with aux input and a bracket somewhere to sit a tablet you'd be good for music either way and have the option of upgrading or auditioning different tablets later.

I just picked up the Dell Venue (windows 8 tablet), which is quite nice, functional as a tablet and will also run proper windows apps so with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse you can actually get real work done with it as you go.

What's wrong with the parrot? It's everything you want has android even a slimmed down Android market with just apps for your car i know it is a lil pricey though.
The Parrot just looks like a watered version of Android to me. I noticed that it doesn't play DVDs. It's just a media player. Sure you can put movies on an sd card or download them, but not everybody does that. There's not even an Android market. Just seems overpriced for what you get.

I run my tablet through an alpine head via bluetooth. if you are capable of custom work you can fab a mount above the deck kinda like my avatar.

I run my tablet through an alpine head via bluetooth. if you are capable of custom work you can fab a mount above the deck kinda like my avatar.

Your avatar is exactly what I had in mind. The problem in my car is that in order to have the kind of setup that you have I would need to relocate the climate controls in my car somewhere else. I'm limited in space, I don't mind fabricating my car. The only problem is that if I ever wanted to trade or sell it in the future.

I dont think they make a single din kit for your car with the pocket on top so I would look into doing a double din kit with the deck on the bottom. then you can fab a mount in the open space on top kinda like having a floating tablet above the radio in front of the heater vents. Only issue will be if you use the dash heat you will be blasting the tablet with heat. You can always block the airflow of just those vents to take care of that.

I'm running a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 in my truck. I didn't want to make anything permanent so I just opted for a mount bracket that can be mounted in a variety of different ways and locations. It sounds pretty good hooked up to my 880PRS Aux input, but there's no way I'd ever run this direct without a descent HU, sound quality would suffer tremendously //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

Link? It isn't one of those cheap Chinese made head units is it?
Yes, they are... no quality company makes them as its nothing but problems... if your running music through it the quality *****... and if has tons of issues with connectivity unless you pay monthly carrier fees... and seeing as they are not for rides(and even the ones for rides) have worse glare than a dd, i keep hoping that they will come out with a quality one... i even got a whole section about em in another forum .... even though im about to post a crappy china one the concept is great and the dd looks almost stock...

I'm running a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 in my truck. I didn't want to make anything permanent so I just opted for a mount bracket that can be mounted in a variety of different ways and locations. It sounds pretty good hooked up to my 880PRS Aux input, but there's no way I'd ever run this direct without a descent HU, sound quality would suffer tremendously //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif
That's probably what I'll end up doing. There's some pretty good mounting brackets that I've seen.

How's the audio quality? I've heard that the DAC in tablets aren't that great.

I have been holding out on buying a HU until a good android unit comes out. Have you looked at the Clarion AX1? Website says it isn't available to ship to the US...but I'm sure there's help for that somewhere.

Clarion AX1

Im currently using a pioneer appradio 3 with Appradio Unchained. I plug my phone in and put it in the console and my screen is mirrored onto the headunit. I use Tasker to automate a number of things when the MHL is connected... Screen brightness to zero, gps on, start pandora, and maybe a few other things im forgetting. Its the closest thing to a tablet install without a tablet. And the HU is fairly cheap compared to double din's and very cheap compared to a custom tablet install.

I was thinking about doing a tablet install, but there was one big thing pushing me away from it... No one makes a decent tablet (or heck, even a cheap one that I know of) with a removable battery. Given the lifespan of current batteries, that would mean either replacing the tablet every few years with the same, now very outdated one, or building a completely new dash mount for a new one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.