Amps turning off

Participant count
  • Participant list
Before work today I pulled my Highs amp out and when I pulled the remote wire and 1 positive terminal wire, I was not sure if I should leave all wires as they were and just place the jumper wire over them, disconnect one or both. I basically overthought the scenario at 3:30am. So I just clipped the end of the remote wire and reinstalled.

Half way to work I turned the radio 80% and music was still playing. I believe the issue was the remote wire and the drive home today should confirm it. I assume the wire was down to strands as I did pull on it to make sure it was connected, just weird how one remote wire would cause both amps to shutoff (if this was indeed the culprit).

One question, when placing a jumper wire from positive terminal to remote wire, I just place a wire over the current wire setup right? I just want to make sure I was correct, even though I played it safe and kept everything connected as normal.

Before work today I pulled my Highs amp out and when I pulled the remote wire and 1 positive terminal wire, I was not sure if I should leave all wires as they were and just place the jumper wire over them, disconnect one or both. I basically overthought the scenario at 3:30am. So I just clipped the end of the remote wire and reinstalled.Half way to work I turned the radio 80% and music was still playing. I believe the issue was the remote wire and the drive home today should confirm it. I assume the wire was down to strands as I did pull on it to make sure it was connected, just weird how one remote wire would cause both amps to shutoff (if this was indeed the culprit).

One question, when placing a jumper wire from positive terminal to remote wire, I just place a wire over the current wire setup right? I just want to make sure I was correct, even though I played it safe and kept everything connected as normal.
I would take the original remote wire out of amp and stick a short piece in its place and over to the pos in amp and if stays on follow your original remote wires up and the are probably both getting there power from the same place. check the connections there.

I would take the original remote wire out of amp and stick a short piece in its place and over to the pos in amp and if stays on follow your original remote wires up and the are probably both getting there power from the same place. check the connections there.
Jump a short wire to positive speaker terminal, not power positive right?

No not speaker , or from the big power wire on amp to small remote on amp . Just a short jumper and the power will turn on amp as soon as you do it . I will be around today if you need more help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would take the original remote wire out of amp and stick a short piece in its place and over to the pos in amp
No not speaker , or from the big power wire on amp to small remote on amp . Just a short jumper and the power will turn on amp as soon as you do it . I will be around today if you need more help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let me see if I understand correct, remove remote wire in amp. Place a new wire in remote-wire terminal and as soon as I place the remote wire, I should look to see it amp powers on? Do I turn the truck on? Does the end of the wire lead anywhere or do I leave it free floating? Where does positive terminal come into play?

When I mentioned "Speaker Terminal," I was referring to the amp, not the actual speakers... Positive terminal of amp to remote wire.

Sorry, I think im confused and not sure if my reply on post #18 is what made things more confusing.

Let me see if I understand correct, remove remote wire in amp. Place a new wire in remote-wire terminal and as soon as I place the remote wire, I should look to see it amp powers on? Do I turn the truck on? Does the end of the wire lead anywhere or do I leave it free floating? Where does positive terminal come into play?

When I mentioned "Speaker Terminal," I was referring to the amp, not the actual speakers... Positive terminal of amp to remote wire.

Sorry, I think im confused and not sure if my reply on post #18 is what made things more confusing.
Put a short piece of wire in amp remote terminal and other end in you in the power wire terminal on the amp then amp will turn on even with truck off. drive a while and seeif that fixes it. remember to take jumper wire out when your done so you dont run down your battery overnight //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Put a short piece of wire in amp remote terminal and other end in you in the power wire terminal on the amp then amp will turn on even with truck off. drive a while and seeif that fixes it. remember to take jumper wire out when your done so you dont run down your battery overnight //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif
ahhhh, got it. Will it make a difference if I do it to one amp at a time or should I do both at once?

Update-

Yesterday I had time to burn and I noticed I over tighten my remote wire. I then opened the run along the passenger side to check the remote wire and stumbled upon worn rcas and possibly touching the cab. I had a pair of knewkonceptz 6 meter rcas that I have not found time to replace the shop rcas and this was the perfect time since I needed to check the remote wire@the HU.

Remotewires@HU looked good, switched rcas or upgraded rcas and had a nice 2hr drive home with no interruptions! On a side note, I was floored by the sound difference from replacing rcas! Noob move, I know. I'm not sure if the amps shutting off was due to poor remote wire connection, sub rcas or both.

Thanks to each of you for helping out!

might be a good idea to check the rest of your wiring seeing that you found a few problems

glad we could help, should help with your troubleshooting in the future too - ive made similar mistakes to you more than once

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.