Amping 3-way components ACTIVE

Participant count
  • Participant list

cossix

I have finally put together a plan for my next system but I've run into a problem. I want to use the AudioControl DM-810 and an 8-channel amplifier to run a set of 3-way fronts and 6x9 rears all with the active crossover in the DM-810. What I can't figure out, is how much power the amp should put out.

Lets say the speakers I am looking at are a 3-way component set with total RMS wattage of 80. How would most people power this setup? I don't think running 80W to a 15W RMS tweeter is a great idea, but I've seen plenty of builds that run each driver to its own amplifier channel.

The speakers I am considering are Focal, and in my personal experience with their component speakers, the tweeters are pretty hot. I would love to have control over the tweeters in their own channel, but can't figure out how to amp them without frying them. Any advice?

So setting the gain correctly would make everything alright? I would imagine having the gain low for the tweeters wouldn't be bad but I've never used more wattage for a driver than it was rated for

Headroom is your friend. You can always attenuate what you don’t need. I don’t really pay attention to RMS ratings anyway when running active. It’s almost pointless.

So setting the gain correctly would make everything alright? I would imagine having the gain low for the tweeters wouldn't be bad but I've never used more wattage for a driver than it was rated for
I put 450 watts to a pair of 6.5s with zero issues bud. You are more likely going to run into sh*t sound when you turn it up louder and your amp is not capable of producing enough clean power and ruin your sh*t via a dirty signal that way.

Get rid of the rears and bridge a pair of channels for the midbass instead. Sound is 2.1 not 4.1, you are just fking up the whole system and soundstage overall with rears because your DSP does not have 5.1 dolby upmixing capabilities meaning all rears will do is just drag the sound stage back and literally kill your width and depth turning your setup into mediocre garbage when it could have been amazing.

You have a DSP, it doesnt matter if the tweeters run hot or not, you have unlimited tuning options to get whatever sound you want, its literally no issue here at all. Leave a crossover gap or use an RTA with the EQ to tame peaks and harshness. Sound deadening and absorbtion along with tweeter positioning are also key methods on the install.

Thanks for all the helpful info! That's actually the first time I've heard to stay away from rears. My current Focal 2-way fronts and component rears sounds thin without the rears... But then again I just sold my subwoofer to get a better one soon so that may be the problem.

Just to make sure though, something like the Focal 165AS3 3-way component set will sound fine without any rears at all + a subwoofer?

Thanks for all the helpful info! That's actually the first time I've heard to stay away from rears. My current Focal 2-way fronts and component rears sounds thin without the rears... But then again I just sold my subwoofer to get a better one soon so that may be the problem.
Just to make sure though, something like the Focal 165AS3 3-way component set will sound fine without any rears at all + a subwoofer?
You don’t know what it supposed to sound like. You always need a sub. Rears can be used but your DSP can’t do it right.

Get your money back on that if you can.

I didn't spend too much on my current setup so I don't mind having the rears as fillers for my current car. I just want to do it right for my next one. And anyway, my current tweeters are a bit too hot so I wired them in with ch 3/4 with my rears so I can reduce gain on the tweets without pulling the stage backwards.

I guess I'll be putting the money towards the dsp, 6-channel amp, sub amp, sub, and 3-ways. Or is it better to have an overpowered 8 channel amp (in terms of front speaker RMS) and just bridge the last 2 channels for the subwoofer? I'd love to just have "Radio>DM-608 DSP>8 channel amp>sub/lows/mids/highs"

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.