Amp shutting down * PLEASE HELP! *

Participant count
  • Participant list

VWSundownAudio

Hi guys, I'll make it quick but I need help!!

I have a Kenwood KAC-5001PS 1000-Watt Class D Mono Power Amp and a Kicker CVR124 12" Dual 4 ohm CompVR Series sub. Just installed the system in my Duramax and whenever I start to turn the music/bass up even half loud the amp shuts off! I have the amp gain set with a multimeter and dont use the bass boost or anything. It should not be happening!! I have owned this amp before and had it in a car and it worked perfect??? I wired the DVC 4 ohm sub to a 2 ohm impedance in parallel. What is wrong???

It could be anything...

Depends on how is your electrical?

Alt, battery, big 3, wires being used..

Alot of the time it will shut off from a bad ground, bad power wire, low voltage, or amp is taking the slow death and running on half power.

Hi guys, I'll make it quick but I need help!!
I have a Kenwood KAC-5001PS 1000-Watt Class D Mono Power Amp and a Kicker CVR124 12" Dual 4 ohm CompVR Series sub. Just installed the system in my Duramax and whenever I start to turn the music/bass up even half loud the amp shuts off! I have the amp gain set with a multimeter and dont use the bass boost or anything. It should not be happening!! I have owned this amp before and had it in a car and it worked perfect??? I wired the DVC 4 ohm sub to a 2 ohm impedance in parallel. What is wrong???
Check your ground.

Well, my ground is definitely good, it has a brand new alternator. Wired up the sub with really good stuff too! And the big 3 are all fine. The amp is brand new also, so I guess it could only be my battery or amp?

Check the voltages at the amp with a multimeter. What gauge are your power wires? How long is your ground cable and how is it secured? Did you do the Big 3 recently?

If you rule these out and the amp is brand new it should be under a return policy or warranty.

Double check the dmm reading with a 50hz test tone, should be around 31-32. Also run that test tone and check the +12 to see if there's voltage drop at the amp. I would test the remote turn on wire too.

Yup I set the amp gain/checked voltages at the amp and they were perfect, I am running 4 gauge which should be more than fine I'd think, my ground is about 14" long and is secured straight to the chassis via a 3/4" bolt. The wiring inside the vehicle should be perfect because Ive done it before on other vehicles and no problems. I even triple checked everything I ran.

I haven't done the big 3 so maybe this could be the problem (?) but I do know the alternator and battery should be fine, they are both brand new and werent the cheap crap. So maybe I should look more into the big three? I am just trying not to spend unnecessary money. Thanks guys for the help!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.