Amp shuts off at about half volume

Participant count
  • Participant list

bwc2210

I am doing an install on a 2012 ford escape factory radio (no factory sub, no sync, no navigation). I am having trouble with the Polk 330a amp I'm putting in. As I mentioned the amp is turning off at mid volume. I have put a DMM to the ground and power wires and I get a reading between 13 & 14 volts. This reading holds strong when the amp power and power light go out. When I put the DMM on the REM wire it reads within the 6-7 volt range, this stays in this range when the amp is on and when the amp turns off. Could this be where my problem lies? I am running six gauge power and ground. I do not have any speaker wire plugged into the amp as of right now. I figured that would rule out the ohm issue. I dont know if I'm right about that or not....

Thank you in advance for any help you all can send my way!!!

the remote wire is most likely the problem here, you should be getting 12 volts. With these new vehicles there is no switched power behind the radio, so if that is where you have the remote wire running to it is going to be problematic. There are a few LOC's out there that will give you a remote turn on wire, but I have not had good luck with them. If your amp has signal sense turn on , try this and see if it fixes your problem. If neither of these works for you, although i dont recomend this, you can grab switched 12V from the fuse box or even the ignition wire in most vehicles

Thanks for the help. I wound up getting a tapa-circuit and ran it off of a 10a switched fuse in the kick panel fuse box. Seems to be working great so far. Are you familiar with using these tapa-circuits? It seems much safer than just running an unwired remote wire to the fuse box. This at least has an inline fuse to help with any shorts that might occur.

Thanks again for the help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.