amp protection help

Capacitor power 

ground connections 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Then the problem child that’s the amp I have running the 2 15s I’m thinking maybe a wireing problem the manual says 1000w x1 at 1 ohm I have the channels bridged not sure if that’s the problem but I have previously put the wires in just a single channel but didn’t fix the problem they are 2 15 dvc subs wired down to 1 ohm 

image.jpg

Hey mate,

Thank you for posting your issue here.  Unfortunately the pics don't give us a good impression of your sound system configuration.

It seems like you are running different subwoofers and loading the amplifier with difference resistance??

What would be helpful in this case is that you list :

• your current sound system components eg:
  • 4 channel amp running pair of front component speakers;
  • 2 monoblock amplifiers running a pair of 12 inch 4 ohm woofers, wired to 2 ohm load;
  • 1 monoblock running a band pass 4 ohm subwoofer;
  • 1 monoblock running another pair of 4 ohm subwoofer;
  • 1 x power cap to run the subwoofer amps;
This will give us a better impression on how its all wired up and make it easy for us to determine the cause.

IMHO, most likely cause is low impedance causing the amp to go into protection.  Secondly, educate yourself in using a multimeter, its your best friend in car audio installations and its pretty easy to use as well.  From your pictures seems like you are chasing SPL scene, would be better to get two SPL 12's in a large ported box to achieve the same or more output then your current gear.  Having 5 subwoofers is an unusual configuration not to mention amps / distribution blocks have to be check and secured to avoid any short circuits.  Also using the same colour wires for grounding and power is not a good idea, but you can apply electrical tape to the ends to ensure correct installation. :rolleyes:

Hello again,  thanks for posting your pic of the Sony amp.

You are using cheap speaker wires so that is one issue to be attended to. Again, get a multimeter and check all speaker / subwoofer resistance on the amp and you should be able to rectify your issue.

Also using bass boost on amplifiers, since you have a few running subwoofers also causes stress on the amps which results to heat and ultimately, shut down from heat as a thermal protection.  Mate, the 15's you have should be adequate to generate bass you are after.  Use  a large ported box and you should get hair raising results and ditch the other subwoofers.  If you are chasing more spl, then get 2 or 4 15's and do a wall and that should definitely keep you happy!  See pic attached for you. 

DSC_0478.jpg

Hi thank you for the advice the 15” subs I have now are 600w rms 4ohm dvc you said you believe that with w bigger ported box and the correct amp will give me just as much if not more bass than what I have currently ? If so what amp would you recommend 

Just to clairify my set up as of now I have 0 gauge wire running from my main battery back to a capacitor then from there I have a 300w rms amp that is stable at 8 ohms running my 12” sub witch is a build Rockford 12 p2 that can handle 300w at an 8 ohm load then from there I have a 1200w peak Sony xplod 2 channel that will put out 1000w x1  at 1 ohm as stated by the manual but I have that bridged because it’s a 2 channel them that amp runs the 2 15s the 2 15s are rated at 600w rms dvc 4 ohm then I have another amp connected to the capacitor witch is a Rockford Fosgate prime mono block that is 500w rms at 2 ohms and that amp runs my 2 10s witch are Rockford 10” p1s they are 250 rms 4 ohm svc but I have them wired in parallel to 2 ohms 

Hello again,  thanks for posting your pic of the Sony amp.

You are using cheap speaker wires so that is one issue to be attended to. Again, get a multimeter and check all speaker / subwoofer resistance on the amp and you should be able to rectify your issue.

Also using bass boost on amplifiers, since you have a few running subwoofers also causes stress on the amps which results to heat and ultimately, shut down from heat as a thermal protection.  Mate, the 15's you have should be adequate to generate bass you are after.  Use  a large ported box and you should get hair raising results and ditch the other subwoofers.  If you are chasing more spl, then get 2 or 4 15's and do a wall and that should definitely keep you happy!  See pic attached for you. 

View attachment 3753
☝️👇help! Lol 

I have a 1200w peak Sony xplod 2 channel that will put out 1000w x1  at 1 ohm as stated by the manual but I have that bridged because it’s a 2 channel them that amp runs the 2 15s 
Am I understanding this correctly? the 2Ch Sony "1000" watt Xplod is bridgeable into 1ohm according to the manual?

Sounds like an old school cheater to me...  :wow:

What's a build Rockford p2? I've never heard of that? Was that a typo? 

Got any more specs on that amp? That's max ratings plus where does it say it's1ohm stable bridged.

Kinda looks like to me the prime 500 is the best sub amp you have idk. Personally I wouldn't use the hifonics 15s. Do you have a budget for better subs. I probably wouldn't use the rf subs either. You can get better subs for a reasonable amount of money. Did you build the boxes 

What's a build Rockford p2? I've never heard of that? Was that a typo? 

Got any more specs on that amp? That's max ratings plus where does it say it's1ohm stable bridged.

Kinda looks like to me the prime 500 is the best sub amp you have idk. Personally I wouldn't use the hifonics 15s. Do you have a budget for better subs. I probably wouldn't use the rf subs either. You can get better subs for a reasonable amount of money. Did you build the boxes 
I’m just assuming it’s built because it’s got an aftermarket metel support peice that’s bright red and it has dual stacked maginents on the back with a empire sticker that says 8 ohms I’m not sure what that is so was just assuming but Some gave it to me and most of this stuff was just collected over time I’m willing to sell all the subs and amps and get 2 good 15s or 12s with coustom ported box and a good amp for them but just wanna make sure before I do that, that with just the 2 I will get just as much bass if not more than with what I have now 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.