Amp Problem

tj'sProbe
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
ny
Here is my problem i can turn my radio up to about 11 after that the amp goes into protect mode. This is in the cavalier and i have had this setup for ever and never had a problem. I mean it happened all of a sudden. I checked my connections and stuff and i reallly am stumped. Can i have some ideas.

What kind of Amp is it, and deck?
His eq is in his sig.

What condition is your amp in? Is it extreamly dusty or dirty? If you've been running this setup for a long time with out issue then all I can think of is the dust or dirt acting like a conductor and shorting your amp. If your amp is dirty try opening it up and using canned air but just make sure NOT TO shake it before or during use.

Also try cutting/stripping new cable at both ends. Good luck!

His eq is in his sig.
What condition is your amp in? Is it extreamly dusty or dirty? If you've been running this setup for a long time with out issue then all I can think of is the dust or dirt acting like a conductor and shorting your amp. If your amp is dirty try opening it up and using canned air but just make sure NOT TO shake it before or during use.

Also try cutting/stripping new cable at both ends. Good luck!
If you look harder, You'll notice that in the thread starter he said for his cavalier, the equip in the sig is for his bonneville.

Possibilities-

Damaged voice coil causing an improper impedance to the amp.

Bad speaker wire connection.

Gain sensitivity and or bass boost set too high.

Amplifier is malfuntioning.

Check the voice coil of the sub with a digital multimeter set to "ohms" it should read pretty close to manufacturer spec (it wont be exactly as rated but should be close).

Check to see that no one has mess with your amp settings and set somthing too high.

If those check out it is possible that the amp has gone screwy on you, I personnally had an amp fail in this manner, it would play low volumes but as soon as you turned up the system and got the voltage flowing it would go into protection mode, the subs were in good shape and the settings and wiring checked out so I brought the amp back to where i purchased it and it was found to be defective. The shop was nice enough to exchange it for a brand new amp at no cost to me and as an added bonus the amp was the newer more powerful model then the previous years.

If its been working forever and it just started happening and you havent messed with anything, I would start with checking to see if the amp burned out on you.

it is a 12 inch pioneer running off a dual amp. I switched the amp to my profile for my components and it does the same thing. So it isnt the amp. Think maybe the sub **** the bed? or something

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.