Amp on, no sound

Participant count
  • Participant list

robertark
10+ year member

Alpine Fan
Hey guys,

I had these subs hooked up in my room before I took them out to my car. I have a Kinetik HC1800 that I used in my room and a spare deck. Wired it all up with 0ga wiring (pos to pos, neg to neg) and it worked. About blew my door down.

Now, I get it all outside, wired, perfect voltages, etc, and nothing. The subs are wired to the amp correctly and the amp comes on. No sound. Since it was in my car with a different deck, I figured it could be a bad deck or interconnects, so I brought out the old deck and hooked it up even using different interconnects. Still nothing. So, the amp is getting a signal in, but it's not putting anything out - at all.

Is there a way, with a voltmeter, to test the amp's mono out? Maybe even the resistance (ohms)?

I can't figure this out and I've been going at it for a while now. Suggestions would be great,

Rob

Ok so this is weird.

This amp has these controls: "Master output" and "slave input"

The manual says to leave it on MASTER when using RCA's to the "Line input" connections. This doesn't put anything out to the speakers. However, when I unplug the "line input" rca's and put ONE of the jacks in the "Slave Input" jack, I can barely hear the subs playing. This is with everything turned up (gain, boost, etc), but I can hear them.

So what's going on here?

Grab a dmm and check the output of the amp. It's either your amp or your subs (provided your SURE the amp is getting a signal, which it sounds like you are). So pull the leads for the sub out of the amp, and measure the AC voltage output. If the amp is producing any kind of signal, you'll get a decent amount of voltage (depending on how powerful the amp is) If it's outputting voltage then the problem is somewhere on the sub side, if it's got no output, then the problem is internal to the amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.