Amp losing power

GrindFrog
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So I hooked my amp up that I bought off the classifieds up for the first time last night. It would get very hot, and I had a bad ground connection. So I bought some 8 gauge wiring and ground it to mu battery. I am running 4 gauge power also. I have a pg tantrum 1200.1 amp. I drove around last night and I had no problems. Parked it in the garage, and this morning I turned it on, sounded fine, I backed up in my drive way and the amp turned down by about 80 percent. I don't think it's in protection mode because the light it still blue and stays on, doesn't blink either. The fan stinks though, has stunk since I hooked it up when it was running fine. Now I do have stock battery and stock alternator. It's a 96 civic ex, so changing alt will be a pain in the arse. Is it due to my alt/battery, or my is my amp gone? I'm pushing a hdc a 12", running 8 gauge wiring.

Depending on your electrical background. If you feel comfortable take the amp out and open it up and look for any burn marks on the board. If so send it in to get serviced. Also, what is the minimum ohm load this amp can handle and what are you running it at? Having a secure ground is important, but it needs to a be a solid good ground and secure...the frame of the car...on bare metal with know paint. Do you have the bass boost turned up on the h/u or amp??? Don't do this!!! Smell you subs to see if they have a burnt smell.

My woofer doesn't smell burnt. Its not 1 ohm stable, but my woofer is dual 1 ohm, and I have it wired to 2 ohms. I could try ground it to where my battery ground is on my chassis. Where can I find someone who knows their way around an amp on the forums?

My woofer doesn't smell burnt. Its not 1 ohm stable, but my woofer is dual 1 ohm, and I have it wired to 2 ohms. I could try ground it to where my battery ground is on my chassis. Where can I find someone who knows their way around an amp on the forums?
Use the same size ground wire as power wire... 4G min. on anything over 400-500watts... make sure everything is grounded RIGHT and secure.

hhhhmmmm amp has had a stink since you bought it and has failed now, sounds like you bought an amp on it's very last leg, and it just tripped and fell on you.

So I hooked my amp up that I bought off the classifieds up for the first time last night. It would get very hot, and I had a bad ground connection. So I bought some 8 gauge wiring and ground it to mu battery. I am running 4 gauge power also. I have a pg tantrum 1200.1 amp. I drove around last night and I had no problems. Parked it in the garage, and this morning I turned it on, sounded fine, I backed up in my drive way and the amp turned down by about 80 percent. I don't think it's in protection mode because the light it still blue and stays on, doesn't blink either. The fan stinks though, has stunk since I hooked it up when it was running fine. Now I do have stock battery and stock alternator. It's a 96 civic ex, so changing alt will be a pain in the arse. Is it due to my alt/battery, or my is my amp gone? I'm pushing a hdc a 12", running 8 gauge wiring.
you bought a really nice amp and then skimped on the wire that bad? why?

trust there are ways to run bigger wire.passenger side pull the seat out pull back the carpet,there is a spot.if this would have happened in may i could have helped.i was in pryor the week of rocklahoma.i have family there.may come back again next year tho.

Im ordering a roll of 4 gauge wiring, i'l run it to my woofer, and to my ground. I'm just having trouble trying to find a good ground. I had it grounded to a metal bracket on the back on my seat but it wouldn't work. and its a solid piece of metal, with a washer between the wire connector and the bracket, and another washer between the wire connector and the head of the bolt. And I did have 4 guage wire to that. Other than that I don't see any solid ground spots.

Shitty install and shitty amp

I used a 4 gauge ground. Not much difference. Should I get some 4 gauge for the woofer to the amp? Or 0 gauge? Next check I am going to buy a 160 amp alternator, run 0 gauge, big three, and run bigger wiring to the woofer, if that doesnt solve it, I will see if the amp is fucked up, if so ill buy a new amp.

8 gauge from amp to sub.the big 3 may help a bit and the bigger alt will be an improvement. you should check your voltage drop when this happens to the amp ,also you may wanna check or replace your battery to a bigger and better one

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.