Amp is TOO hot?

PhatTony ~ this is probably his first foray into car audio and he went to a big box store to get some gear. A mistake? Depends on your point of view. Retail pricing for audio gear is far beyond reasonable cost for some who have more than average knowledge about all things car audio-related. However, for someone who knows nothing to very little about all the possible options available, retail pricing (and possibly City Advantage on everything he bought) could be well worth the price he paid. A complete n00b would be more likely to burn up his gear due to improper use or neglect than someone better versed in audio equipment might be. That total replacement warranty (if he bought it) may, in the end, become his best friend.

According to the contents of his original post he seems pleased as punch with the gear he's gotten. That feeling of elation, to some, may be a priceless commodity.

Foote ~ an amp getting hot enough to actually cause blisters is not normal operation. The gains could possibly be improperly set, the amp may be in need of adequate ventilation, or the impedence (resistance load) being shown to the amp might be too low for the amp's liking. Have a read through the various tutorials found all over this forum - there's a great wealth of knowledge to be gained there. Good luck!

PhatTony ~ this is probably his first foray into car audio and he went to a big box store to get some gear. A mistake? Depends on your point of view. Retail pricing for audio gear is far beyond reasonable cost for some who have more than average knowledge about all things car audio-related. However, for someone who knows nothing to very little about all the possible options available, retail pricing (and possibly City Advantage on everything he bought) could be well worth the price he paid. A complete n00b would be more likely to burn up his gear due to improper use or neglect than someone better versed in audio equipment might be. That total replacement warranty (if he bought it) may, in the end, become his best friend.
According to the contents of his original post he seems pleased as punch with the gear he's gotten. That feeling of elation, to some, may be a priceless commodity.

Foote ~ an amp getting hot enough to actually cause blisters is not normal operation. The gains could possibly be improperly set, the amp may be in need of adequate ventilation, or the impedence (resistance load) being shown to the amp might be too low for the amp's liking. Have a read through the various tutorials found all over this forum - there's a great wealth of knowledge to be gained there. Good luck!
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/handclap.gif.0c301076f534e244f0460706894f19e0.gif nicely put man, thank you.

Yeah, There are some really good fans for sale on Cardomain Just get some circulating air in there. Also make sure that it isn't covered at all. Also make sure that they aren't mounted upside down.... most heat sinks are located at or around the top... Hot air rises... back onto your amp(s)

I would go to the impedance load first. CC installers are known to not be "cream of the crop", so checking that would be your best bet. Make sure the subs are wired correctly, then move on to gain problems, and thinking about adding a fan or two.

phatTony i think you flamed him so bad hes not gonna make anymore posts in this thread.. ahhahah funny but sad.. true, he spent too much. for that amount i got my modded mtx 1501d amp,a 12" idMAX, a hifonics nx600 amp, and a pair of infinity prfect components. the sub and amp were used but shiet, theyre the pricey parts i wanted so i bit the bullet and i am greatly satisfied.

I would go to the impedance load first. CC installers are known to not be "cream of the crop", so checking that would be your best bet. Make sure the subs are wired correctly, then move on to gain problems, and thinking about adding a fan or two.

The boxes come preloaded with dual 2s we don't put the subs in or anything(that is if he got the preloaded comp vr box). Also that amp is only 360watts at 2ohm... if it's the one that I am thinking of.

heres pics of the crap, and yes i did get the insurance thingy where if the speakers blow within next 4 years i get replaced free...

who installed the amp?? just double chk and make sure the power wire and ground wire isnt touchin at all... make sure the ground wire isnt touchin the remote wire... 4 guage should be big enough for the amp... chk your grounds and make sure its grounded good and also try and chk the power wire to see if its gettin hot as well.... power wire may be grounding out somewhere...

who installed the amp?? just double chk and make sure the power wire and ground wire isnt touchin at all... make sure the ground wire isnt touchin the remote wire... 4 guage should be big enough for the amp... chk your grounds and make sure its grounded good and also try and chk the power wire to see if its gettin hot as well.... power wire may be grounding out somewhere...
It wouldnt operate at all if the power was touching the ground or the remote was touching ground, that would be a short circuit and blow fuses.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.