Amp is TOO hot?

Foote
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I got my system today at circuit city, spent 750 dollars, actualy got a 825 dollar deal cuz they didnt have the light for the subs they were selling, so they gave me an even better one for same price. Got 2 round 12" Kickers 800 watts rms in a ported nice box, and i got the amp. The amp is pioneer 800w monoblock. Thing is, it gets REALLY hot, the metal part does. Like the top of it...it gets so hot that if you lay your hand on it for 2 seconds it will burn you, like...leave blisters. Is it supposed to get THAT hot?

P.S: The system sounds great, can hardly stand it...hurts my throat and my ears.

Well, to me, that doesn't sound like normal operation.

As for ventilation...I was wondering if you had it poked underneath a seat or somwhere else that would impede the heat from dissipating. This could be the culprit. If so, try installing an external fan to aid in ventilation.

Another problem could be ohms. Are your subs wired to present a load that makes your amp stable? For example, if your subs are wired for 2 ohms and your amp is rated for 4 ohms, then this will cause your amp to overheat.

Maybe some of the experts here could shed some light.

This kid is an idiot... why did you spend $750 at Circuit City, for like $300 worth of ****? Those subs are not 800w RMS each, it is 800 for the loaded box, meaning 400 each. He thinks the subs are like the best things ever... The amp could be getting hot because it is being clipped. Try to get a DMM and set the gain properly. Other than that, mount it somewhere it will receive adequite airflow. And whats the model number of your amp? Because if you paid $300 something for it, you got ripped man. eBay is your friend, you are an idiot.

He IMed me, talking all this crap like he knows it all. I said you could have gotten a better deal somewhere else, so he says the subs are worth the money because they are 800w //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif ... Read some threads and learn some **** kid, you are an idiot.

Wow!, was that really needed?

Apparently, because he knows absolutley nothing, and wont listen when I try to help him.

You would have been better off buying that gay MA Audio package for $400, not worth the money, but either was what you bought.

For that money, you could have gotten some monster subs, a killer amp, and a wiring kit.

He spent $120 on the wiring kit from CC, rip off? YES... 4 guage wiring kit, $120, rediculous man. Listen when people try to help you.

$120 on a wiring kit...aint feeling that at all...i would have to agree with PhatTonyDeMarco...the kid (i think he is older than me) should ask around, get solid info, understand a little of what he is told then go out and start buying...and $800 mang...im sure you could have gotten a better setup than that!!!

$120 on a wiring kit...aint feeling that at all...i would have to agree with PhatTonyDeMarco...the kid (i think he is older than me) should ask around, get solid info, understand a little of what he is told then go out and start buying...and $800 mang...im sure you could have gotten a better setup than that!!!
Yeah that's like 2 12" XXX's with i forget the amp 1800db i think and a wiring kit... just 30 more bucks you got ur box.

unless you do like me and spend 600 bucks on one sub //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/greedy.gif.5a53e6246569d7ab79867170f3b06629.gif

No one starts off knowing everything...that is how I ended up with Audiobahns....ease up on the kid

Yeah no big deal if you dont know a lot. Hell, I dont know a lot either, but I have learned a great amount of information since I joined this site. My beef with this guy is that he talks (at least to me through AIM), like he knows it all. He starts out asking me a question, and then he will end up telling me I am wrong when I try to give him an answer...

But instead of making this a flame war against Foote, lets try to help him.. Can we get some pics of your install man? To see if the amp is monuted in a good spot? Its a hatchback so you should be able to find a place to give it good airflow.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.