Amp is only pulling 11-12 Amperes at max volume.

predxen
10+ year member

I have a Hifonics Zeus 1500.1D running at 2 ohms. Therefore it should be giving a peak RMS power of 1000 Watts. So 1000 watts at 14 volts means it should be pulling around 70 amp's. Why is it only pulling 11-12 amps ? I have an 6-8 Gauge power/ground (I know it is way to small, I ordered Cadence 0 Ga today, as well as a 10 Farad CAP) The length of the power wire is around 10 feet. And i have also done the big 3 with 2/0 wire. Any Thoughts ?

It might be your power/ground wires. I'd say don't worry about it until you upgrade. You probably shouldn't be running that amp that hard on those small cables anyway. If you're still getting that after, then you might have an issue. But what kind of voltage is your amp throwing to your subs?

I don't think a clamp meter like that will provide accurate results. I have seen guys on here with nicer meters that will read true power draw.

An older meter would have trouble measuring something that fluctuates from ~7Amps at idle to around 70A at full tilt within a few milliseconds. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

It might be your power/ground wires. I'd say don't worry about it until you upgrade. You probably shouldn't be running that amp that hard on those small cables anyway. If you're still getting that after, then you might have an issue. But what kind of voltage is your amp throwing to your subs?
How would i go about testing that ? just plug a multi meter into my speaker wires ?

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

Fix your ground issues.... Will prolly solve ALL your problems! :)
Make sure you can get a refund on the cap
Are Caps really that bad ?

BTW, The amp meter is not even digital, its analog, and like 10 years old...

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

I don't think a clamp meter like that will provide accurate results. I have seen guys on here with nicer meters that will read true power draw. An older meter would have trouble measuring something that fluctuates from ~7Amps at idle to around 70A at full tilt within a few milliseconds. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
That explains everything, Thanks Man.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.