amp in protection mode.... due to RCAs?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Djpac
10+ year member

ok, now i posted this on CAF, and i have not got a good solid answer. . . . SO, im going to cut out all the updates, and repost what i have figured out and done here and maybe some one can help me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif (oh, i even emailed the company, and have yet to hear a response)

Amp: Power Acoustik OVN1-4000D - Not the best but i figured it would do the job . . .

Subwoofer: AudioQue HD3 15

Enclosure: 4.5^3ft, Tuned: 45Hz

Ok, so i installed this stereo about a week and a half ago. and the past few days, it has been playing and then going into protection mode for about 5 minutes. then the other day right, it just went into protection mode, and i couldnt figure how to get it out. The amp was not hot, so it was not a thermal issue.

and i would like to add that there is only one light, green for normal, red for protection mode, and it would blink back and forth. (i heard that it could be a code to say what the problem is?)

So i checked the ground wire connection, and even moved it; amp was still in protection mode. checked the remote turn on wire, that was fine. the power wire was fine with no fuse blown. the speaker wire is fine and connected to have the subwoofer with a 1 ohm impedance. so then i unplugged the RCAs and still in protection mode. so then i decided to check behind the head unit. i was kind of frustrated and pulled the head unit out rather hard, and notice the RCA wires that connect to the subwoofer head unit was disconnected, so i connected them and check the other wires back there. everything checks out ok.

next part, i was fiddling with the RCAs and noticed if i barely place them in the connectors on the amp, it will work for a few seconds then make a *Pop* noise and go back into protection mode. and started to fiddle with the master/slave switch and when i played with that, it went into protection mode [i think that was just a coincidence]. with that i was playing with the RCA wire, the male end, i noticed there is a seem(Sp?) going in the middle of the male tip, and stuck a flat head screw driver in it and spread out the tip so it would maybe make a better connection.

with that and havin the RCAs barely in the hole, it works a little bit. i have to have the all the settings on the amp turned almost all the way down, and the settings on the head unit turned all the way down, and it barely works. and it will make the *Pop* noise everytime i hit a small bump or make a sharp turn, and turn off. and then turn back on.

so from that, i think it is the internal connectors for the RCAs in the Amp... am i right? is there a way to fix this? is it a simple, open the amp and resolder the connector?

thanks!

Edit: and i dont know if this matters or not, but the amp IS mounted to the side of the enclosure

ok, now i posted this on CAF, and i have not got a good solid answer. . . . SO, im going to cut out all the updates, and repost what i have figured out and done here and maybe some one can help me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif (oh, i even emailed the company, and have yet to hear a response)
Amp: Power Acoustik OVN1-4000D - Not the best but i figured it would do the job . . .

Subwoofer: AudioQue HD3 15

Enclosure: 4.5^3ft, Tuned: 45Hz

Ok, so i installed this stereo about a week and a half ago. and the past few days, it has been playing and then going into protection mode for about 5 minutes. then the other day right, it just went into protection mode, and i couldnt figure how to get it out. The amp was not hot, so it was not a thermal issue.

and i would like to add that there is only one light, green for normal, red for protection mode, and it would blink back and forth. (i heard that it could be a code to say what the problem is?)

So i checked the ground wire connection, and even moved it; amp was still in protection mode. checked the remote turn on wire, that was fine. the power wire was fine with no fuse blown. the speaker wire is fine and connected to have the subwoofer with a 1 ohm impedance. so then i unplugged the RCAs and still in protection mode. so then i decided to check behind the head unit. i was kind of frustrated and pulled the head unit out rather hard, and notice the RCA wires that connect to the subwoofer head unit was disconnected, so i connected them and check the other wires back there. everything checks out ok.

next part, i was fiddling with the RCAs and noticed if i barely place them in the connectors on the amp, it will work for a few seconds then make a *Pop* noise and go back into protection mode. and started to fiddle with the master/slave switch and when i played with that, it went into protection mode [i think that was just a coincidence]. with that i was playing with the RCA wire, the male end, i noticed there is a seem(Sp?) going in the middle of the male tip, and stuck a flat head screw driver in it and spread out the tip so it would maybe make a better connection.

with that and havin the RCAs barely in the hole, it works a little bit. i have to have the all the settings on the amp turned almost all the way down, and the settings on the head unit turned all the way down, and it barely works. and it will make the *Pop* noise everytime i hit a small bump or make a sharp turn, and turn off. and then turn back on.

so from that, i think it is the internal connectors for the RCAs in the Amp... am i right? is there a way to fix this? is it a simple, open the amp and resolder the connector?

thanks!

Edit: and i dont know if this matters or not, but the amp IS mounted to the side of the enclosure
The vibrations from the subwoofer box might have messed up a component, Take the amp apart and see if there is any components that are loose or have broken leads or legs. I have seen a few amps catch on fire from a busted transistor leg that shorted out the power supply from being mounted on a enclosure.

i never had this issue with other amps. . . but i just think its an internal RCA connector issue. i dont want to rip the amp open yet, because i still have not heard back from the company, power acoustik. so i want to see if they will repair it free. if not i will give it a wack. hopefully some one would know how to repair the connector some where online. crappy amp

you talking about the voltage from the battery? if so my voltage gauge reads about 13.2-13.9volts depending on if im idling or not. but if it was related to that, wouldnt this issue have arisen earlier, not a week and a half after?

and is it possible to like take off the internal RCA connectors, and cut off the male end of the RCAs and solder the wires directly to the the circuit board? [or what ever the female part of the RCA connectors connect to]

thanks

If you power it up with no RCA signal, and no subs connected, what does it do? Don't ask questions about RCAs in response to it, just do it and see what happens.

Only have power and REM hooked up to it. No subs/speakers, no RCA. Report back.

If you power it up with no RCA signal, and no subs connected, what does it do? Don't ask questions about RCAs in response to it, just do it and see what happens.
Only have power and REM hooked up to it. No subs/speakers, no RCA. Report back.
been there done that. it doesnt stay in protection mode.

we have found doing some testing, that really high input voltage(signal) can make some amps go into protection.

I have not personally tested your amp.

what head unit are you using?

ok so after replacing the RCA wires, again. i figured out my problem, thus far.

How can i tighten up my RCA connectors? because when i put the RCA Wires in they just wiggle and slide out. and dont make a connection. Any way i can fix this?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.