Amp going into protection mode

The remote wire shouldn't matter, although they specifically say it does in #6.

You have two gain controls, one for ch 1 & 2, and one for 3& 4. At least in that picture you have the gain for 3&4 set at .2v. IF I'M UNDERSTANDING THAT CORRECTLY, that means you have your gain maxed out. Which when turned up means you are going to exceed your (16v max) output voltage.

Try to set both gains about 4v. The scale should be 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, .5v, .2v (so about 3 out of 8) or just put it half way. Then give it a try.

If that didn't work, then remove all speakers, and use one set of RCAs. Try the one set in 1& 2, if good, then 3 & 4, then the other rcas and do the same thing.

OTHERS TELL ME IF THIS IS RIGHT, but if this doesn't work, then it means it's a power/signal issue.

If this works, you then add the speakers and it doesn't, then the load is causing the issue. (Check the ohms and wiring of each speaker)

I am only using two channels but here is where my settings are....edit..the gain is under half btw
0712231228_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
There can be many things that can cause this to happen. The most common imo are a short, to low of an ohm load the amp is seeing, voltage dropping to low, or a faulty amplifier. First thing I would do is check the impedance of all the speakers in the car. Disconnect the speaker wires at the amplifier and check it that way. If the speakers are 4 ohm and it’s not reading close to that, it can be a damaged speaker or something wrong with the wiring.

I have a pioneer 2660NEX. The preout is 4V. Then according to that my amp does come out of protection mode but why would i have to replace the headunit? I just got it earlier this year and everything else works perfectly.
Thatv HU is just fine.. No need to replace it. Start with the settings on the amplifier as stated and make sure that on back of the HU that the Sub RCAs go to the Sub amp and not to the Mids and Highs(Frt,and Rear).. The Remote wire is fine jumping from amplifier to amplifier(2) amplifiers from the HU). When you start running 3 or more amplifiers( ill usually run 4-8 amps) thats when you will be looking at adding a relay on the remote wire to keep your HU from any issues .

There can be many things that can cause this to happen. The most common imo are a short, to low of an ohm load the amp is seeing, voltage dropping to low, or a faulty amplifier. First thing I would do is check the impedance of all the speakers in the car. Disconnect the speaker wires at the amplifier and check it that way. If the speakers are 4 ohm and it’s not reading close to that, it can be a damaged speaker or something wrong with the wiring.
Thats where a DMM comes in quite handy for sure. Ill wear a DMM out putting it to work. LOL. Great Input and response

True and there have been cases over the years (usually seems to be 1 ohm amps + dual 4ohm DVC subs) of protect circuits getting triggered by certain subs that should be within spec but are just enough out of spec to trigger the protect circuit.

I am only using two channels but here is where my settings are.View attachment 50214
I see that for Ch 1&2 that you have the X setting to X1 on the HPF and the switch is turned to the On position and the OP does not in his pic shown. Excellent Information. I feel like that is his Main Issue for running in Stereo mode for his Mids and Highs. I do not have or have played with that amplifier but I have with several others. Settings do not look correct on his amplifier for normal operation.

My cheapie 25 year old Radio Shack DMM is as reliable as ever. :cool: But if you can afford a Fluke or Tenma, those are worth a couple extra bucks. I used a Tenma back when I did repairs.
I can promise you that RadioShack one you have from 25 years ago is like a Ferrari compared to the cheap ones today 🤣

I see that for Ch 1&2 that you have the X setting to X1 on the HPF and the switch is turned to the On position and the OP does not in his pic shown. Excellent Information. I feel like that is his Main Issue for running in Stereo mode for his Mids and Highs. I do not have or have played with that amplifier but I have with several others. Settings do not look correct on his amplifier for normal operation.
U sir are correct...also was a pita to tune.the one all the way on the right is more for tweets and the one on the left next to the gain is for mids.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...