Amp going into protection mode

HinkDawg

CarAudio.com Recruit
Ohio
I just recently hooked up my new amp and it keeps going into protection mode when I turn it up. The amp is to my door speakers so they audio turns off and my subwoofer just hits the bass. Its weird because the only way it works is if I leave only 1 speaker running. The moment I play more than 1 speaker on the amp it goes into protection mode after 10 seconds of play. I've tried just front doors and even just back doors and it still goes into protection. If I turn the amp gain all the way down the vocals sound terrible almost like they are talking with a mask on. My head unit sounded better on the door speakers than the amp. I am running a brand new JP84 to 6x9 alpine type rs in the front doors and 6-1/2 alpine type s in the back doors. So I ask the question on why that keeps happening and what I can do to fix it. All the wiring looks good and the amp isn't getting hot either so I just need some advice if any one has any ideas I can try.

Pics of the amp settings will help.Make sure you are not set on LPF, but rather on FULL or HPF, and make sure your gain on amp is down as well as volume knob on the hu when switching . What HU are you using? Stock or aftermarket? more information needed.

Last edited:
what HU are you using? What section did you use on the back of the HU to run RCAs to the amplifier? What size power wiring and ground wiring did you use for the amplifier and is it CCA or OFC wiring? where did you place the Ground wire for the amplifier? Did you use a Fuse at the battery? If so, what type and size? Did you use a Fused distro block at the amplifier? If so what size and type?

what HU are you using? What section did you use on the back of the HU to run RCAs to the amplifier? What size power wiring and ground wiring did you use for the amplifier and is it CCA or OFC wiring? where did you place the Ground wire for the amplifier? Did you use a Fuse at the battery? If so, what type and size? Did you use a Fused distro block at the amplifier? If so what size and type?
My HU is aftermarket and its a pioneer 2660nex. There is 3 sets of rca on the back and im using the bottom one for my subs. The other two are for the door speakers. I am using 4 gauge OFC for power and ground. Ground wire is in trunk on the chasis of the car i scrapped off the paint and screwed it in. I have a fuse at the battery it is 300 ANL. No distro block i have another battery on the way to throw in the back and ill hook it right up to that. The speaker wire on the amp is rated at 8 gauge but i cant run 8 gauge through my doors since the rubber grommet only has so much room from the door through the side of the car. Right now its 12 gauge for the door speakers.

Ive switched from LPF to HPF on both channels and it still goes into protection mode. Turned everything down and up and it still happens.... When i switch it to HPF the music sounds muffed and not clear. So i would want it on LPF im guessing. Still not sure what to do and D4S hasnt responded to my email yet either. Im going to give them a call tomorrow to see what they say.

Attachments

• Amp.jpg
    Amp.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 18
Ive switched from LPF to HPF on both channels and it still goes into protection mode. Turned everything down and up and it still happens.... When i switch it to HPF the music sounds muffed and not clear. So i would want it on LPF im guessing. Still not sure what to do and D4S hasnt responded to my email yet either. Im going to give them a call tomorrow to see what they say.
LPF is for subwoofers. HPF is to protect your speakers from too much bass. Only use the 1x setting. You're basically removing ALL of the music in 10x mode. Leave it at 1x and put it about 1/4 of the way up. You really only need that to protect your speakers from outputting low bass. Turn LPF off.

You said one channel operation works. You really need to identify which channel is causing this to happen. Do both channels work just fine if only running one?
Only put ONE speaker per channel, and try each RCA input on one amp input at a time to see if one of them has a bad connection. Then do the same on the other channel.
A picture of the amp wiring would really help. If you're bridging any channels, un-bridge them. Be certain that the +/- are going to the correct terminals.

Last edited:
Chs 1/2 and 3/4 you need to be on "X1 " and turn the HPF switch "ON" for those for 4 ch mids and highs. Leave the LPF OFF as you have it on the other setting. Try that and get back to us. Be sure to place your gain setting @approx 8-9 O'clock and hertz I would start at approx 60 HTz . start from there. Then Tune

Last edited:
Keep those LPF switches "OFF" and @X1 (the X1may not matter on that amp when you place the HPF switch in operation?) I havent played with that amp yet. And I didnt see much in the link sent on that

So i have HPF turned on and all the way down on every setting and it starts to cut out once i turn the volume half way up on the music.

So i have HPF turned on and all the way down on every setting and it starts to cut out once i turn the volume half way up on the music.
Check your amplifier wiring, and make sure the supply is secure and the ground wire is as well. Make sure the remote wire is in properly

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...