Amp Going Into Protection Mode

Participant count
  • Participant list

Macy

Alright so my Phoenix Gold Octane-R Amp for my mids and highs keeps going into protection mode, this is the second amp I've tried and its done the same thing so its not the amp. I've un-hooked My RCA cables. Still in protection mode. I've unhooked All the speaker wire AND the RCA cables and its still in protection mode. I cant figure out why its doing it...My Rockford Fosgate T1500 is completely fine though, Bass still knocks and that amp isnt going into protection mode.

My system for reference

Kenwood DNX7100- Head Unit

Rockford Fosgate T1500

Phoenix Gold Octane-R

2 12'' Alpine subs

2 DB Drive 6 1/2 mids in the doors

2 DB drive bullets in both doors

2 HI-Def loud horns In the Grill

vehicle: 1979 Monte Carlo

any help would be greatly appreciate this thing is driving me nuts...also I cant show off with no music //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif thanks guys..

P.S I've also noticed now because I haven't had it on while driving in awhile but I'm now getting that engine whining sound so maybe a ground may have came loose? idk if that would affect anything.

I believe those amps are only 2 ohm stable so make sure your speakers are wired correctly.

even with the speakers and RCA cables unhooked it still goes into protection mode from the moment it gets power. thank you for the speedy reply

Deff a solid ground is necessary.Check your Power wiring as well, make sure you dont have any exposed strands grounding out/touching any metal/.Check to see if you exposed any wiring,by rubbing through the firewall if you did not use a grommet also.Whats your voltage like?Whats your electrical like?HO alt,Standard?,Wet cell battery,one AGM,two AGM with Stock alt,Size of power wiring?

even with the speakers and RCA cables unhooked it still goes into protection mode from the moment it gets power. thank you for the speedy reply
You can take the amp out, take it to the battery of the vehicle, and wire/test it quickly there.POWER and REMOTE together to + on batt, and - to Neg on the battery.If she lights up fine, you should have an issue with either your power,or ground wiring,or Ohm configuration as stated.If she goes back to protect, you need to get her repaired,or replace the amp.

Inadequate grounds do not cause an amp to go go into protect mode. Typically it's either low impedance (short), or over voltage, or overheating that "protect" circuits look for.

If it goes straight into protect when you power it up with no speaker wires attached the amp is probably toast, throw it away and try to find something better.

IMO Phoenix Gold hasn't made a good amp since the 90's.

Inadequate grounds do not cause an amp to go go into protect mode. Typically it's either low impedance (short), or over voltage, or overheating that "protect" circuits look for.
If it goes straight into protect when you power it up with no speaker wires attached the amp is probably toast, throw it away and try to find something better.

IMO Phoenix Gold hasn't made a good amp since the 90's.

right, thing is I had a decent kenwood before this one. My car audio guy tried to hook up my rear-window speakers and it instantly went into Protect mode. When he put the PG amp in he tried to hook my rear-window speakers up again after I asked him several times not to worry about them and that they might just be fried. Now this amp is doing the same thing I think my REAL issue here is I need to find a new car audio guy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif thanks everyone I appreciate the help!

right, thing is I had a decent kenwood before this one. My car audio guy tried to hook up my rear-window speakers and it instantly went into Protect mode. When he put the PG amp in he tried to hook my rear-window speakers up again after I asked him several times not to worry about them and that they might just be fried. Now this amp is doing the same thing I think my REAL issue here is I need to find a new car audio guy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif thanks everyone I appreciate the help!
Very likely there is a short between the amp and speaker(s) which killed both amps.

Time for a new amp. If you learn how to install everything on your own you will save TONS of money and get to know your car/truck/whateveryoumightdrive at the same time, not to mention it really is not hard to do. If I can do it, you can, too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.