amp going into protection mode

psprowler

First off let me say I'm a newbie to this forum so if I mess up some of the terminology I apologize. Here's my current setup:

I have a pair of Pioneer 4X6" speakers in the front, a pair of Sony 6X9" speakers in the rear, and one Rockford 12" HX2 4ohm dual-voice coil wired down to 2 ohms. My head unit is an older Clarion CD player and I also have XM radio wired in as well. Powering all of this is a Soundstream Edge series 5.7 5-channel amp.

When I initially hooked up everything it worked fine and sounded amazingly good for the components involved. However, on the way home from work the other day the amp went into protection mode (red light illuminated) after about 15 minutes of continuous play. The amp was not hot or anything. When I got home I turned it back on (car was not running) and it worked fine. So this morning on my way to work the same thing happened - after about 15 minutes of continuous play the amp went back into protection mode. I won't have time to look at it for a couple of days and I'm not really sure what the problem might be. My best guess is that somewhere there's a wire that's shorting out somehow - but it seems odd that the thing works for a bit before going into protection mode. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be? Thanks.

I'm not positive but I think it could be because you have everything running off of the one amp and you're running the sub in 2ohms. I think it all should be that same...4ohm.

Unplug your sub for a day or so and see if your amp cuts out on the way to work.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.