Amp for sub/speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

SoulRaver33

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I'm upgrading my car's system and I'm curious if this amp is good with my sub. I purchased a JL 12W6v3 and was looking at the JL JD1000/1 but im not sure if this amp is good for the sub. I apologize in advance as my previous set up was done by a friend who is out of town for a long while. Also, what recommendations can anyone give me on a decent amp for my infinity speakers. Currently I have avionixx amps but would like to upgrade and add better sound to my system all together. Thanks in advance!

So I'm upgrading my car's system and I'm curious if this amp is good with my sub. I purchased a JL 12W6v3 and was looking at the JL JD1000/1 but im not sure if this amp is good for the sub. I apologize in advance as my previous set up was done by a friend who is out of town for a long while. Also, what recommendations can anyone give me on a decent amp for my infinity speakers. Currently I have avionixx amps but would like to upgrade and add better sound to my system all together. Thanks in advance!
I had a JX1000.1 powering my w6 and it was great. The JD line replaced the JX line when JL discontinued them, so they are similar amplifiers, with the JD line being a little newer

If you have a high budget, the HD series is better in my opinion... if you want to stay with JL. Though if you went with an HD, I'd go with the 750.1.

An update. I got a XD400/4v2 amp and a RD 1500/1 along with my newly purchased w6v3. I'm concerned about a few things however.

Since I upgraded from x2 12w0v3 and avionixx amps I'm aware that the w6 draws more power. With the current upgrades, would my car's electrical system suffer big time? I currently drive a 2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6. I know beefy systems can draw a lot of power but my question is with these current upgrades would I be fine with stock or should I look into a second battery or another alternator?

Get a good battery up front (you should do this big stereo or not) I went with a northstar 27F in my Tundra, but anything from Northstar, XS Power, Optima, Odyssey will work.

That rd1500/1 is a little overkill for just one w6, but nothing wrong with that, just dont over power the sub. You'll have room to add a second w6 down the line if you want to. I run a single 10w6 in a powerwedge box in my commuter car and its always sounded great! Just had to re-foam it a year ago, but i've had it for probably 10 years.

The Rd1500/1 needs 2ga min wire. Make sure to get ofc copper wire....good stuff, dont go cheap! I personally run 1/0 to a distro block and then 4ga to each of my hd900/5 and helix dsp.

An update. I got a XD400/4v2 amp and a RD 1500/1 along with my newly purchased w6v3. I'm concerned about a few things however.

Since I upgraded from x2 12w0v3 and avionixx amps I'm aware that the w6 draws more power. With the current upgrades, would my car's electrical system suffer big time? I currently drive a 2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6. I know beefy systems can draw a lot of power but my question is with these current upgrades would I be fine with stock or should I look into a second battery or another alternator?

A good AGM battery and possibly the big three if you notice your lights dimming and it annoys you.

Hey guys. Reviving this due to some potential upgrades and questions to go along with it. So I've been given the opportunity to get a JL HD series 600/4 or a VX400/4i. Both are 1k+ retail but I'm getting a big discount. I have an extremely high budget and can afford both. ATM I'm going for my speaker system and the bass upgrades will take place in March. I've heard that the VX series is better than the HD series but the VX comes with its own DSP. I already have a AudioControl LC7. Would it be bad to still get the VX? Should I stick with getting the HD? Also, should I upgrade to a 6ch amp over a 4ch? My car has 8 speakers in total. The front doors, the rear, the dash x2 and the pillars (which house the tweeters). I heard that 6 speakers stress 4 channel amps but unsure if this is entirely true. Would a 6 channel amp be better? I have an RD 1500/1 powering my sub which is fine but atm just looking to upgrade the speakers SQ

Hey guys. Reviving this due to some potential upgrades and questions to go along with it. So I've been given the opportunity to get a JL HD series 600/4 or a VX400/4i. Both are 1k+ retail but I'm getting a big discount. I have an extremely high budget and can afford both. ATM I'm going for my speaker system and the bass upgrades will take place in March. I've heard that the VX series is better than the HD series but the VX comes with its own DSP. I already have a AudioControl LC7. Would it be bad to still get the VX? Should I stick with getting the HD? Also, should I upgrade to a 6ch amp over a 4ch? My car has 8 speakers in total. The front doors, the rear, the dash x2 and the pillars (which house the tweeters). I heard that 6 speakers stress 4 channel amps but unsure if this is entirely true. Would a 6 channel amp be better? I have an RD 1500/1 powering my sub which is fine but atm just looking to upgrade the speakers SQ
IMO, its only worth using a dsp if you are going with an active speaker setup.....well, you would be gaining time alighnment, that makes a difference......It requires some knoledge on how to tune it without hurting your speakers, but its night and day difference over a passive setup.
If your budget allows, i would go full 3 way active in the front (something like the Audiofrog gb10, gb25 and GB60) and then its up to you for the rear. You could go with a set of passive components for the rears, or active. So you would need either 8 (active 3 way front & passive rears) or 10ch (active 3 ways front and active 2 way in rear).

Perfect match!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...