Amp for 15in sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

sd54b

I have a single rockford p3 15in sub that I'm going to put into a sealed box. I'm looking to push it with 500watts rms @4ohms and would like to know what you think between the following amps.

PPI bk1800.1. Or. JBL GTO-1001ez. My budget is 250$ and I can get either of these for less than that.

I know both of these amp push a lot more than what I'm really wanting but I like to be able to have the gain down and not push an amp too hard. I'm a little partial to jbl because I have a small amp of theirs thats still running after 6+yrs.

So...ppi or jbl ? Or something else ?

JBL has better build quality and a built in easy leveling setup. Its probably 10-20 percent underrated while the PPI is not.

But you should match the amp to the impedance of your sub. The PPI is rated a 1 Ohm while the JBL is rated at 2 Ohms.

I see you are running 4 Ohms; in that case get the JBL and you can add another sub easily in the future.

The JBL is a great amplifier, I recommend them all the time

Nice clean amplifier, efficient, and not a bad footprint for the power they make

I'm also a big fan of JBL/Harmon/Infinity products. They're good for what they are and fairly priced.

PPI brand name hasn't been put on a good product in over a decade IMO.

My last ppi amp was an art series back in the day, 50x4 and I had two channels bridged to a single thunderform 10 in a standard cab ranger.

These days I'm about to take delivery of a new subaru forester xt and I've always wanted a single 15. I'm replacing the entire stock system and I'm probably going to go with the jbl 804 for mids and highs and the jbl1001 for the sub. 4ohms across everything.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.