Amp and sub help.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Aces_Full
10+ year member

I just installed this today. A Memphis amp.. (Memphis ST1000D) I have the subs (2 Memphis PR104D dual voice coil) wired up pulling a 1 ohm load. The subs don't sound as "tight" as I would like. I'm finding out now the subs are 200 RMS and 400 peak. The amp is shooting 1100 watts at a 1 ohm load. With VOLUME I'm getting quite a bit of distortion. YA THINK!!! This is what the shop I had it done at recommended. For everyday listening just driving to some tunes at a moderate level they sound great. The box I have is sealed 1.25 cf per sub. I feel like the loss of tightness and certain amount of distortion at higher levels is due to the difference in recommended cf. The subs recomend a .75 cf sealed box. combination of both maybe? This could also be I went with "entry level" Memphis subs? Need a better sub? 12's? Don't really want to go with 12's. I want TIGHT accurate bass. Someone chime in....

The first thing you need to remember is brand new subs need a couple of weeks to break in. Then I would try lowering the gain on the amp (distortion) remember its not a volume nob its a line matching gain. And if it were me I would definitly run the recommended enclosure volume of .75 if tight is what you're looking for. If none of this works, upgrade to better subs.

Why dont you try looking into image dynamics IDMAX V.3 this sub is rated at 1000 watts RMS and 1800 watts peak. It should be a good match for your amp, it has great SQ with the ability to get loud and the box recomendation is 1.3 to 1.5 cuft and should go great with your 1st box. You just have to modify it a little.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.