American sub manufacturers

The concept of american made products is something you are going to see popping up a lot with the current economy. Due to the way we as a country kept shipping our industry off to china, they really have us in a bad position. Take companies like Kicker or Rockford who formerly built everything in the US. They closed large plants, sold off all the equipment, and shipped virtually everything off to China. Kicker doesn't even have a machine shop to do prototypes in house. They simply rely on Chinese vendors to do everything. There are several specific industries that have totally gone to china. The injection molding industry in the US is nearly dead as china does it so much cheaper. The last US magnet company went out of business back in the mid 90's. Casting of aluminum and stamping steel is nearly all done in china except for a few specialized companies. The trouble with all that is that since our industry is gone here, China can now do whatever they want and they have us in the palm of their hands. The government already removed a 5% drawback on taxes for export to the US. That meant everything exported to the US went up instantly 5%. They have continually been raising prices as well, knowing we can do nothing about it. For the US to bring back the injection molding industry to the US would literally cost billions of $. Some of the other industries even more. They know it will never happen so they really now have the freedom to do whatever they want. It's a sad reality but as a country we can't live without them, so we put ourselves at the mercy of the Chinese.

When it comes to being Made In America, it is often now just a badge to stamp on something. It used to mean something. It used to mean that Americans worked hard to produce a quality product and by doing so brought home money to support their families. Now, it often means one final step is done on a product just so it can be claimed to be made here. You can get away with taking a woofer made in china and just stick the dustcap on it here in the US and claim it was "Made in America". To me that doesn't mean much. I want Made in America to mean what it once used to and I worked hard to make this happen with our products.

I'd like to think that Acoustic Elegance can make this claim more than any other company. Some raw parts come from China. They have to. There hasn't been a magnet company in the US for over 20 years now, so our magnets come from China. Our terminals also come from China as there is nowhere in the US making them. Our cast aluminum frames come from china as well, but we are working on some higher excursion units that have hand made frames fully done in our facility. Some of our drivers do get raw steel T-yokes and top plates from china. Even then we finish machine every piece in our own machine shop. Other T-yokes and top plates are made fully from US made 12L14 or 1018 steel bar. Our copper sleeves come from tubing specifically made in lower Michigan. Every T-yoke and top plate is sent to a plating company in Milwaukee WI. Our paper cones and foam surrounds come from a company in Casseville WI. Voice coils are wound in Florida. Phase plugs are hand made from US aluminum. Santoprene surrounds are made near Chicago. Spiders come from Illinois. Our aluminum cones are spun by a company in California, then hand finished and clear coated in house. Our rubber edge gaskets and PVC spider spacer rings are injection molded in Indiana by a company that rose from the ashes of on a large injection molding company put out of business when 3 major car audio companies all went to china. We now use all US made CA glues, epoxies, rubber cement, PVA adhesives and paints for every part of the assembly. Every driver is then hand built and tested in house in Green Bay, WI. They are put into boxes that are made here in Green Bay and held into place by foam that is made about and hour south of here in Plymouth WI.

By doing all the work in house and sourcing all the parts in the US, we achieve what we set out to do. The quality is there, the performance will live up to its expectations, and there will be no question about it. Our slogan is "Superb Quality, Unforgettable Performance, Definitely." That is what I want Made in the USA to stand for again.

John

The concept of american made products is something you are going to see popping up a lot with the current economy... That is what I want Made in the USA to stand for again.
John
Ive been concerned about us shipping all our industry over seas for the past decade or so. Im glad the problem is starting to be recognized on a larger scale.

My pet peeve is all those people driving around in Toyota's who claim they do in fact drive an American made car. Like John said, its merely assembled here, the final assembly only at that. And they do it 1) to claim 'made in America' to fool all us idiot Americans, and 2) to avoid the costly import taxes that come with importing a fully assembled car. That's right, they avoid taxes by bringing these things in ALMOST assembled, taxes to OUR govt meant to help support OUR industrial base. And what do we do? We buy into their marketing ******** about it being American made, and buy them up by the tens of thousands. Im confident the Chinese, Japanese and Germans are laughing their asses off at us. All these people driving around in Toyota's, Lexus and Nissans... all wondering why our economy is collapsing down around our ankles. Well, I hope that 'less cheap looking interior than American cars' was worth it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.