Am I correct for install?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Dogmeat

Yes new member here, and I've been reading back forums until I get dizzy.

Here's the plan...looking for a low end SQ system in a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab keeping the stock HU, replacing front and rear door speaks with Alpine components, being pushed by and old school Rockford Fosgate 400a4 amp (4 x 50 RMS@4Ohms). 1 Kicker L7 10 DVC4Ohm pushed by a JL250/1 amp.

Now the harder stuff.....

Wiring: am I correct to run a main from the battery with 4Ga wire (maybe 12-15 feet), protected with a 100 Amp fuse at battery? The 400a has a 50 amp fuse and the 250/1 takes a 30amp. This will go to a distribution block and step down to 8ga wire to the amps. I am going to use 8ga for the grounds to a common point between the two amps.

Next question....what size wire for the speakers? 12ga or larger? Maybe the skinny stuff they packaged with the speakers...like 18ga?

Box encloser: the Kicker wants .66cuft min for a sealed enclosure. I think I can get it up to .70 cuft. Do I still need to pack the box with insulation? or would it help?

Anyone have a good source for cheap wire and fittings? EBay?

Last question.....how come nobody says anything about EQs. Is that a thing of the past?

Thanks for any help or thoughts, and be as blunt as you feel like.

power wire: sounds good

groud wire: if you could use 4ga, it'd be better

speaker wire: for the subs, use 12ga if the speakers came with wires then just use those

enclosure: ya, i would think that sub would like larger than .66 cubes

Source: ebay or www.knukonceptz.com

EQs: not a thing of the past, they are just more advanced than most people need

I think you should buy a HU also man, they arent too much and many places offer free install. It would have a built in equalizer, and would give you a ton of great features for your system

Only keeping the HU, because it has pretty much what I need, except for MP3, and it has steering wheel controls. As far as free install...no thanks. I'm tired of the hacks screwing up my ride and having to do the work over again to get it right. I'd rather take the time to do it myself. Anyone else have any thoughts on suppliers? Thanks for the info.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Dogmeat

Dogmeat
Antioch,Ca
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Dogmeat