Aluminum Coils vs Copper Coils pricing?

I never thought that in depth with it. But 2xx for a sub that can take 2K rms of clean watts is a steal to me. So if you get alumnium what other sub handles well at 3K for burps that's 3xx? Even though I see your logic in pricing it's still a steal IMO for price. My main reason I picked mine up

the alum coils cost more because they are made in the usa and because they are copper clad. the plating takes another step which is time that cost money.
copper will sound better and have a lower fs. the alum coil is for more power and is lighter which is better for spl...
I actually like the sound of the alum coils better in my installation, seem to have a little more punch and tighter sound on rock music...

I never thought that in depth with it. But 2xx for a sub that can take 2K rms of clean watts is a steal to me. So if you get alumnium what other sub handles well at 3K for burps that's 3xx? Even though I see your logic in pricing it's still a steal IMO for price. My main reason I picked mine up
alum will take a LOT more then 3k for burps. Haven't clamped my set up yet, but I run a 3500 on each sub at 1ohm daily and .25ohm for burps. Plan on adding more power soon.

In the right enclosure with clean power the alum coils can take upwards of 10k for a burp.

alum will take a LOT more then 3k for burps. Haven't clamped my set up yet, but I run a 3500 on each sub at 1ohm daily and .25ohm for burps. Plan on adding more power soon.
In the right enclosure with clean power the alum coils can take upwards of 10k for a burp.
Oh I know lol. They handle large amounts of power well and can take a beating for a while. Hell I've heard people even burping the coppers at 3K. Plan on giving my two 2K each daily

aluminum and copper have similar electrical and thermal conductivity given the same mass of material.. as well as a similar heat capacity..

The difference as far as coils go is that copper is more then 3x as dense so there is more material packed into the same volume... and with a given voume it has better thermal and electrical properties..

With two coils of the same size the copper coil will handle more power... but the aluminum will yield less moving mass...

I can't comment on pricing except to say that my supplier sells aluminum and copper coils for roughly the same price..

I am not *****ing about pricing. More less was wondering how a more expensive material was cheaper.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I don't have an AQ my self yet, but plan to grab a motor and build one up..

alum coils are louder
copper daily

alum spl...
coppers are more effiecient = louder, but once you reach a certain power level the alum coils will take over.

I've run both for daily and currently run alum coils and they sound quite good and get respectably loud.

Outlaw run the in the garage a few nights ago...

"][/url]

Here's my question...

What if you had the money to buy the alums and only had about 20-22 k for power? Is there an upside to getting the alums if not at 3k for daily?

EDIT: I want to get the alums just b/c I know they'll disipate the heat better but if coppers would be louder and more efficient with lower power, should I get the coppers instead? Will it even matter in my case since 4 18's will be hella loud anyway? Just trying to be safe than sorry...

coppers are more effiecient = louder, but once you reach a certain power level the alum coils will take over.
I've run both for daily and currently run alum coils and they sound quite good and get respectably loud.

Outlaw run the in the garage a few nights ago...

"][/url]
**** nice!

Here's my question...
What if you had the money to buy the alums and only had about 20-22 k for power? Is there an upside to getting the alums if not at 3k for daily?

EDIT: I want to get the alums just b/c I know they'll disipate the heat better but if coppers would be louder and more efficient with lower power, should I get the coppers instead? Will it even matter in my case since 4 18's will be hella loud anyway? Just trying to be safe than sorry...
assuming you meant 2000-2200 per sub then I'd get the coppers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.